Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

I have a dark/black mark on the side of my neck. the skin is

I have a dark/black mark on the side of my neck. the skin is really dry and cracked. I wear a real white gold chain everyday of my life, I never take it off. It seams like it's coming from wearing the chain. How do I get rid of the darkened skin on my neck? Please help! Thank you.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.

Can you take a photograph of the affected area at your convenience?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok how can I send you the pics?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.
You can upload the pictures to the question box by clicking on the paper clip or tree icon in the question box toolbar. This toolbar does not display in google chrome and safari so an alternate browser may be required. Do let me know if you have any trouble with this.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry the pictures are upside down. the first 2 pics are with flash on and its a pic of left side and right side. The second set of pics are without flash , first on the left side second on the right side. My left side is darker.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the photograph. How long have you had this darkening?

Are you overweight for your height?

Any personal or family history of diabetes?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had it for years. Yes I'm overweight for my height and yes my grandfather had diabetes. Is that the cause?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. You have something called Acanthosis Nigricans. This is not because of the chain you wear.

Acanthosis Nigricans is a skin condition affecting the flexures (skin folds) that causes hyperpigmentation that may be bluish-black to brownish along with mild thickening of the skin sometimes producing a velvety texture. This is seen in patients with Insulin resistance (Obesity is an important cause of insulin resistance), diabetes or other hormonal disorders. In your case the Obesity is the most likely cause but I would still recommend getting your blood sugar level checked to rule out Diabetes.

Treatment of this condition is usually unsuccessful unless the primary problem is corrected. If you don't have diabetes then only weight control will lead to permanent clearance of these patches. Simultaneous treatment options that can help are bleaching creams like TriLuma and lasers such as the Fractional CO2 laser.

Hope this information is useful. Please feel free to ask if you have any queries.