Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

My 5 year old son has a red spot rash on his penis which is

My 5 year old son has a red spot rash on his penis which is not itchy.
It was first diagnosed as eczema , went with treatment , but has now returned in a more serious rash at the base of his penis and up the shaft of his penis.
His twin sister had warts behind her knee , which have now gone , and an irritating itchy rash on her back and klegs which went with soothing cream treatment.
What could the red spots on my sons penis be ?
Thank you
Malcolm Campbell

Would it be possible to take a photograph of his rash at your convenience?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello Dr Nair.
It is not possible today as he is at school , and stays with his mother now until I collect my twins on Friday evening 11th November.
The spots are small and pink , and ' clustered' around the base of his penis , random up the shaft of his penis.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. HIs rash could suggestive of a diagnosis of Molluscum Contagiosum.

Molluscum Contagiosum is infectious skin condition caused by a virus (Pox Virus) and spreads by skin to skin contact.

The incubation period for molluscum varies from 2 weeks to 2 months. The mode of transmission is through skin to skin contact and young children are the commonest affected age group. Mollusca are self resolving but can take 3 months to 2 years to disappear. They can be red and itchy in the initial stages.

The simplest way to deal with them would be to leave them alone, since they do ultimately go away on their own. This is the standard of care in children with mollusca. However if their number keeps increasing or they get red and itchy, then they are best treated with either radiofrequency ablation, laser ablation or needle extirpation followed by 10% TCA application. Prior to these prescription creams like Aldara or Retin-A can be tried for 4-8 weeks.

The other possibilities would be superficial folliculitis and contact allergic dermatitis.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.