Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

I have blisters on my left ring finger between the knuckle

Customer Question

I have blisters on my left ring finger between the knuckle and palm of hand that itch, have clear fluid coming out and spreading. When I peel off the blister there is raw meat under that seeps clear fluid. HELP!
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.

How long has this been happening? Can you take a photograph of the affected area at your convenience?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This has been happening since October 22, 2011; continually getting worse and spreading. Yes, I can take a picture. How can I get it to you?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.
Great! You can upload the pictures to the question box by clicking on the paper clip or tree icon in the question box toolbar. This toolbar does not display in google chrome and safari so an alternate browser may be required.

Another option is to upload pictures to or and send me the link.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the photograph. Tell me do you have any smaller itchy blisters elsewhere on the hand (particularly the sides of the fingers)? Any history of diabetes?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is the only area. I am afraid it will spread into my hand. No history of diabetes.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. It is hard to be sure what cause the blister in the first place but such a localized blister that has spread so deep is usually because of an insect bite reaction. The bite itself is often missed by the patient. Other causes of blistering in the hand include Tinea Manum (Fungal Infection), Bullous Impetigo (Bacterial Infection), Pompholyx and Contact Allergic Dermatitis (both types of eczemas) and Fixed drug eruptions (FDE). All of these conditions have multiple shallow blisters with surrounding skin changes not present in your case. FDE may have a single blister but there is a clear history of it starting within 24 hours of taking a new oral medicine.

What is important now is to prevent secondary infection of the wound. For this apply Triple Antibiotic ointment on the wound - do this twice a day and keep it covered with a gauze and bandage. Tab Claritin 10 mg twice a day will help with the itching. Both of these are available without a prescription but you also need oral antibiotics in addition - I would recommend either Dicloxacillin, Augmentin or Cefadroxil. Your family doctor will be able to provide you the required prescription for one of these. Continue treatment for at least 7 days and this wound should heal.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can I get it to stop seeping the clear liquid?

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 4 years ago.
You're most welcome! Yes - for this use vinegar soaks before applying the creams - mix half a cup of white vinegar in one liter of tepid water, soak clean cotton or gauze in it and leave over the affected area for 5 minutes and then gently wipe clean. Do this twice a day before applying the antibiotic cream. Regards.