dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have these red spots on my forehead that never go away. They

I have these red spots on my forehead that never go away. They are flat and about as big around as an average mole. They sometimes form a dry crust on top that goes away if I exfoliate with a microfiber cloth. I started out with two of them 8 years ago and now I have 6 and it looks like I'm getting another. I am 42 years old and healthy. What are these and how do I get rid of them?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

Hello

dermdoc19 :

Would it be possible to forward a photograph? It would help quite a bit?

Customer:

Yes, give me a minute to take one please.

Customer:

Sorry it took so long. It was difficult to get a good pic, they are hard to see file://localhost/Users/karenkeith/Desktop/photo.JPG

Customer:

not sure if you can open this file, let me know

Customer:

If you can't read the pic file I can email it. Would that be ok?

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

They are more prominent in person than they are in this photo. In fact they are difficult to cover with makeup.

Customer:

Are you there Dr. Oppenheim? I'm not getting any reply.

dermdoc19 :

Is that area on the right side a large patch?

dermdoc19 :

Or is that an affect of lighting?

Customer:

it's a larger patch

Customer:

They also look flat when I look at them in the mirror but I can feel where they are when I run my finger over my forehead.

dermdoc19 :

Well, I will go ahead and give you my impression. This appears to be seborrheic dermatitis. It is rather easily treated ( I hope the microdermabrasion was not your dermatologists idea...that is way off base!!). This can be treated by alternating Maximum Strength Cortaid ointment and Lotrimin cream. Apply the Lotromin cream once during the day and Cortaid ointment in the morning and at bedtime. Shampoo with Head & Shoulders a couple of times a week and let some of the shampoo go onto your face.

dermdoc19 :

Many cases are either caused or aggravated by a yeast organism called Pitryrosporum Ovale, that is the reason for Lotrimin cream.

dermdoc19 :

It is due to an excess proliferation of cells. The skin cells are dividing too fast. Sun helps this. Omega 3 Fatty Acids too.

dermdoc19 :

Neosporin is a bad idea. We see allergies to this and this is not a bacterial infection.

Customer:

Ok. Thank you! I will try that! How long should it take to see results? I take omegas. I hate the sun with a passion! I'm Irish!

dermdoc19 :

Should improve rather quickly. It is possible that you may need stronger creams than OTC, but there is a good chance that this will work.

dermdoc19 :

Omega 3's help slightly, the creams will help the most.

dermdoc19 :

I would expect it to be nearly gone after two weeks.But this certainly can recur.

Customer:

Thats wonderful! I had no idea what to do! Thank you again!

dermdoc19 :

You're welcome.

dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience: 30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology