dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

i have had recurring pimple like sores clustered together for

i have had recurring pimple like sores clustered together for the last month or so. The sores first appeared on the skin area below the left side of the mouth (chin area) One sore would form then another and when one healed another would appear. this symptom appeared on the nostril area of my nose once the chin area healed. the bottom part of my nose/nostril upper lip area. the sores appear almost over night are painful to the touch look like a pimple with redness around the white pimple area then after acouple days heals but not completely before another sore in the same area pops up. Now the sores have traveled to the lower right side of my mouth or chin area. i have tried many over the counter items to cure it. Benadryl lotion seemed to help clear it up but only for a short time. ... any idea? what it is and how i can treat it
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

Hello

Customer:

hi

dermdoc19 :

Would you be able to forward a photograph? What is your age?

Customer:

i am 51 n at the moment i am not sure how i would do the photo

dermdoc19 :

You would click on the paper clip icon and upload.

Customer:

lol i need to get a camera to take the pic

Customer:

it would take a few trys if you are willing to wait?

dermdoc19 :

Actually, I have to see patients, office hours start soon, soI would certainly be willing to wait.

Customer:

pic should be with you in a few minutes about 2 actually

dermdoc19 :

I am thinking from your description, this might be peri-oral dermatitis. However, you are at the upper limit of the age group which is usually affected by this quite common condition.

Customer:

ok i am working on getting the pics not sure what peri-oral is

Customer:

ok just a sec \

dermdoc19 :

Around the mouth.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

woot i did it lol

Customer:

the sores have looked worse

Customer:

n are not as bad as before i have used a benadryl lotion n it seemed to help but i noticed a day ago that they started to pop up again

dermdoc19 :

I doubt whether Benedryl would help at all since this is certainly not a histamine related condition. It does seem to be peri-oral dermatitis, perhaps a folliculitis. This would respond nicely to a course of Tetracycline 500 mg. twice a day for two weeks. I would also recommend topical Clindamycin applied twice a day.

Customer:

ok is this something i can get over the counter or should i go to my doctor?

dermdoc19 :

We really do not know what causes peri-oral dermatitis. Some people, mainly British dermatologists, regard this as a form of rosacea. Fortunately, it is easier to treat.

Customer:

cool good to know

Customer:

so can i get the suggested treatment over the counter at all ?

dermdoc19 :

Actually, Benzoyl Peroxides seem to make this worse. You possibly could try bacitracin twice a day, and Roc Retinol at night.

Customer:

yes it did seem to be worse with the ance stuff i used

dermdoc19 :

Ultimately, you probably would need to see a physician. However, a family doctor would be able to give you a prescription for those two medications now that you know what this is.

Customer:

ok thanks for your help

Customer:

at my age i don't need this going on lo l

dermdoc19 :

You are welcome, Good luck. Now I absolutely have to see my patients!

Customer:

please do and thanks have a good day

dermdoc19 :

Likewaise.

dermdoc19 :

Likewise.

dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience: 30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology