dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology

Hi...i am a 53 yr old female with overactive sebaceous glands....what

Customer Question

Hi...i am a 53 yr old female with overactive sebaceous glands....what is the best way to treat....facials?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 2 years ago.
hello
thanks for using justanswer

facials is not the way to treat over active sebaceous glands. To keep your sebaceous glands in check you will need to use Retinol based creams. One of the best creams to use is the Tretinoin ( 0.025%) cream which you can use daily at night and wash off in 20 min. daily . Do not use this cream in the morning. Also use a salicylic acid based face wash for daily use. These will help reducing the oiliness and the size of the sebaceous glands.
other alternative is to also consider doing regular chemical peels at the clinic

Facials will help only superficially and will not treat the root of the problem.

If you Agree with the Answer you can press the Green Accept Button below. You can also consider a feedback or a Bonus as a credit to my work . Let me know if you have any further questions. The Answers cannot replace the advice on clinical examination.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.
First, at age 53 your skin is unlikely to continue to be oily so I would not recommend anything too radical. The only treatment which positively, and permanently reduce the size of your oil glands would be Accutane. The SmoothBeam laser, a 1540 diode laser, specifically targets the sebaceous gland. While generally used for acne, it certainly will treat oily skin and give you some degree of facial rejuvenation. Photodynamic therapy, in which a liquid called Levulan is placed on the skin, followed by treatment with a Blu light also will decrease oiliness. The Levulan is attracted to the oil glands and then the light zaps the Levulan and the nearby oil gland.
All other treatments do not change the size or constitution of the oil glands and minimally will affect oil production. They basically help control the oil once it hits the surface of the skin.
However, there are certainly some very helpful things you can do. These will also decrease pore size to a small extent.
First, cleanse your face with the appropriate cleanser: Cleanse twice a day. My choice would be Neutragena Pore Refining Cleanser. Avon Cream Clay Cleanser is another choice if one of your friend's sells this product.
I generally do not like toners unless you have very oily skin. If you do have very oily skin, I would add a next step which would be to use Nivea Visage Alcohol free Moisturizing Toner.
Now one of the most important steps: Seban pads or Seban Liquid. You can obtain these at pharmacies or on line. OC Eight Oil Control is also excellent, but I usually recommend this for my acne patients who complain of oily skin.
At night I like a Retinoid. My favorite, by far for your skin, would be Tazorac gel 0.1 if tolerated. I can pretty much guarantee that this will dry up your skin. It is also sold as Avage as an anti-aging product. However, it is the exact same formulation and made by the same company ( Allergan)...it just costs quite a bit more. Tazorac will also have the advantage of keeping your skin youthful. ( I use it myself..but the cream form). Us this on dry skin and at night. This is a prescription item. If you would like a non-prescription item I would recommend RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Night Cream.
If your skin is still too oily ( which I doubt): you can add a blotter such as Clean & Clear Oil Absorbing sheet and a mask such as Queen Helene Natural Clay Mud pack Masque.
Facials will help, but unfortunately, the affects are only temporary. A pumpkin peel ( I am not saying this due to the season here!) will help more, but this too would be temporary. The course I have outlined can be used on a daily basis.
Microdermabrasion will not really help at all. The oil glands are too deep and this method does not really take off the oil.
I hope this has helped and feel free to get back to me with any questions.

These products I
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience: 30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.
By the way, the Clarisonic device is a good one. We use them in our cosmetic dermatology practice.
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thx so much for the info....where are you located? I would love it if you were close to NJ area so I could come to your office from time to time. I need a good dermatologist!!

Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I am flattered. I am in Virginia Beach...although I will be driving through NJ in December.
dermdoc19, Dermatologist