Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

Hi. I have itchy red bumps on my feet,calves and ankles. No

Hi. I have itchy red bumps on my feet,calves and ankles. No where else. The CVS pharmacists said looked like poison ivy, so I treated it as though. It cleared up and, now few days later, its back again Help!

How big are these bumps?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
small, some barely bumps at all. Looks like a razor rash almost but alot redder
Okay. Do these bumps come and go over the course of a day or are persistent till treated? What treatment did you do earlier?

Any oozing or pus discharge from these bumps?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not really any oozing. They are persistent through day......sometimes get worse as day goes on actually. I used Ivarest and cortaid. which I thought helped, unless just coincidesnce. Because now its back again and looks exactly same and in same area!
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. Your history is very suggestive of 'Superficial Folliculitis', also known as Bockhart's impetigo. This is a superficial bacterial infection of the hair follicle. It presents as tiny red bumps that are itchy. Individual lesions last about 5-7 days but because they can keep recurring it may look as if the rash is unchanging. Cortaid suppresses the inflammation (redness) and therefore clears the rash temporarily, but it actually allows the bacteria to multiply causing the rash to come back once it is stopped, often worse than before.

Here is what I recommend:

1. Mupirocin ointment twice a day for 5-7 days. If there is no improvement within 3 days of this then you will require a 5 day course of an oral antibiotic like Dicloxacillin 500 mg three times a day.

2. Dial Antibacterial liquid soap for bathing. Continue this even when asymptomatic for a few weeks.

3. Tab Claritin 10 mg once or twice a day depending on how bad the itching is.

NOTE: Dicloxacilllin and mupirocin require a prescription so I would recommend discussing my recommendations with your GP/family physician. If you cannot do so in the near future then Bacitracin ointment is an OTC alternative.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.