dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology

I have developed tiny bumps on my toes, upper feet and now

I have developed tiny bumps on my toes, upper feet and now noticing them on my hands (between fingers and on wrists). They itch and burn. They are very small and in clusters. Some look like they have black heads, most are clear or red
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

Hello

dermdoc19 :

Do they look like they have fluid them? Do some look a bit like tapioca? Do they itch or burn?

dermdoc19 :

Would it be possible to forward a photograph?

Customer:

I will try to snap a picture. They itch and burn, yes. Yes, looks a bit like tapioca!

Customer:

how do i add a picture

dermdoc19 :

You click on the paper clip icon and upload.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Full Size Image

dermdoc19 :

Thank you.

Customer:

thank you!

Customer:

it started on my pinky toe and just keeps going (about a week) today was the 1st time i noticed it on my hands/wrists

Customer:

that's not accurate. I noticed it almost a month ago on my toes

dermdoc19 :

This looks like a dyshidrotic eczema at this point, sometimes referred as pompholyx.

Customer:

from online reading, that is what i thought. is this a "it goes away" or is there treatment

dermdoc19 :

The old feeling was that this was due to a sweating problem, but now we feel it is due to irritation of the skin followed by trapped sweat. The little vesicles ( water bumps) is due to sweat.

Customer:

I have been wearing sandles and not really sweating, so I don't think that is the case :(

Customer:

what is the new feeling? :)

dermdoc19 :

I would recommend treating with cool Dome-Boro solution. Put a tablet or packet of Domeboro in 1/2 pint of cool tap water and apply this for 15 minutes twice a day.

Customer:

I can get that at a pharmacy?

dermdoc19 :

The new feeling is that is due to irritation of the skin....sometimes either from something a patient is allergic to or irritated by.

Customer:

Should I see a doctor? Is this contagious?

dermdoc19 :

Dome Boro is found at most pharmacies. I would also apply Maimum Strength Cortaid ointment. Avoid leather or rubber products. Absolutely not contagious.

Customer:

I like wearing sox (even to bed) should I keep those off for now?

dermdoc19 :

You can try the above for a few days, unless the itch is unbearable in which case oral steroiods in a low dose or even a shot might be needed. I would also recommend Cetaphil Restoraderm to ease your skin.

dermdoc19 :

Socks at night are fine, especially white cotton socks ( I like the way you spelled Sox!...maybe I should have recommended red, but white are better)

Customer:

okay, so dome boro 2x for 15 minutes. max cortaid and cetaphil restoraderm? will this cure ? how long will the treatment be needed for

dermdoc19 :

Cortaid ointment and if you are uncomfortable at night you can wrap saran wrap around the areas and take a Benedryl 25 mg. an hour before bedtime.

Customer:

All my sox (hehe) are cotton, none are white, I can pick those up at the pharmacy I suppose

Customer:

and if it doesn't go away in how long? then see a doctor?

dermdoc19 :

It is hard to tell whether it will be curative. Treatment is better from a doctor in that we can use a bit stronger medications. Do try to keep the humidity in your house down, avoid cooking or peeling or wear vinyl gloves when doing so. You can wait a few days before seeing a physician, unless, as I mentioned, you cannot tolerate the itching. I have had this personally and the itching can be intense.

Customer:

It's more annoying and ugly than painful.

Customer:

I'll try the above and hope for the best. If not, I'll see a doctor.

Customer:

any other advice before I accept? (thank you!)

Customer:

one last thing: it wont' go further than my hands/feet? right? (like face or other tender spots)

dermdoc19 :

Just if the rash extends further up the top of your foot ( dorsum of foot) you would have to further consider an allergic reaction to shoes. It is not unusual at all for people to break out first on the feet and later hadns...this is called an id reaction.

dermdoc19 :

Do not use hand sensitizers. Wash your hands with Cetaphil soap or Cerave cleanser rather than regular soap.

dermdoc19 :

Keep your hands lubricated with Cetaphil Restoraderm.

Customer:

boy. that's a lot of things to get at the pharm! :) it is on the tops of my feet!

dermdoc19 :

Yes, what should be done first would be to control the outbreak, and then you might need patch testing to figure what you may be allergic to. That is why I mentioned to avoid leather and rubber ( if possible) since those are what usually causes these sort of allergies.

Customer:

okay. thank you again! slipping off the rain boots now......

dermdoc19 :

Not all that many things: Dome-Boro, Cortaid ointment, Cetaphil Restoraderm, and Cerave Cleanser. Fortunately, they are all not that expensive ( go on line before you go...Cetaphil and Cerave usually have coupons!)

Customer:

yay! coupons :) thanks again!

Customer:

bye

dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience: 30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology