Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, MBBS
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS (R)
16248889

What could a red pimple-like rash be on my penis?

I noticed on Sunday I had two red rashes on my penis head, one on each side of the penis head. I am circumcised. I tried pushing at the red spot, and  I thought it was like a pimple, but nothing happened. The next day, I noticed a pimple in the same place and I popped it, and puss came out. Now it is red in the middle. What do you think this could be?

Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr S.A.Alam replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you question.

Are you sexually active?

When you noticed this spot?

Have you seen a doctor yet?

Is this a single spot or there are more?

Do you have any symptoms of burning urination?

Increased frequency of urination?

Any abnormal discharge from the penis?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am not sexually active, and have been with the same person for years and use a condom. I haven’t been with a different partner in three years. There are three spot, and they are not all in the same place. One is on the left side of penis head opening, one on the right side of the opening, and one on the right lower side. I have no burning in urination, no frequent urination, no discharge from penis. I went to see a dermatologist, and he gave me a cream for redness, I just want a second opinion.

These spots on the penis are very common and most do not have a serious cause especially if the person is not sexually active and uses condoms. However, occasionally spots can indicate a significant health problem if you have any of the symptoms like burning urination, increased frequency and are sexually active.
Causes can be hair follicle infection these are painful and lead to discharge of pus in late stages.
fordyce spots they are painless and not itchy, but may cause embarrassment or a fear that they might be sexually transmitted, which they are not. They are abnormally dilated blood vessels, covered by thickened skin.
Balanitis is inflammation of penile skin occurs mostly in people who are not circumcised. So in your case this may not be the cause.
Allergic rash due to undergarments is one of the causes of the symptoms you gave and can be considered.
I would suggest that you use combination of antibiotic and anti-allergic cream and use cotton underwear's and keep the area dry to help quick healing of the rash. Do not touch the area too much. I would consider holding off masturbation/other sexual activities time till this heals.
I hope this helps.
Let me know if you have more questions

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It is healing and I just wanted to know, that it’s like when u pop a pimple, there is a bit of a crust, is that normal?

Yes symptoms and signs of healing can be decrease in the symptoms of redness, pain, swelling, decreased rash, crust formation. It is a good sign that symptoms are decreasing you need to give it few more days and continue the treatment.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So I have been using the cream, is it normal that after I take a shower I see like white spot in middle, like a pimple kind of? it is a bit redder than the others, but I see it is getting lighter slowly. How long do you think it takes before it disappears, I have no pain and urine fine.

Appearance of spots with whitish area in the center indicate some accumulation of pus, this occurs in the healing process, this pus is composed of dead white cells and offending agents like dead bacteria. It is a good sign in most cases unless they spots are increasing in number. Decrease in pain, itch and redness are other markers of healing. It can take 7-10 days for these lesions to heal. warning signs to look for are increase in rash, pain, swelling, fever. These signs if present may indicate the need for use of oral antibiotics.

I hope this helps.