Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology
17493159

rash between legs, bumps, itchy, red, leads to peeling skin

Customer Question

rash between legs, bumps, itchy, red, leads to peeling skin and cracking, tried 40% zinc diaper rash cream, helped somewhat, but came back with a vengeance, fungal killer tea tree oil salve did not work either, stress seems to make it worse, first doctor regular doctor not dermatologist said it was chaffing and suggested the zinc oxide cream, second doctor was a naturopath and suggested tea tree oil salve which did not work either.  Seems to be getting worse now.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 5 years ago.
Hi. Are you able to upload a picture?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, can't upload a picture, my daughter is sleeping right now and probably would feel very funny to upload as it is in her private area.
Ok. Sounds like a fungal infection though. Please buy terbenafine cream over the counter and ask her to use twice daily. Should clear up in 2-3 weeks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
looked up terbenafine cream and it appears to be lamisil. Read online that many people have jock itch fungal infections and lamisil only relieves and does not cure it. Also appears that an antifungal soap helps to wash it first before applying anything. Do you know of an antifungal soap name and a cure for jock itch? How can you tell that it is jock itch for sure?
Lamisil does cure jock itch in most cases. In a minority .oral anti fungals may be required which you will need to get on prescription. There is nothing else that will help. Anti fungal soaps are just a money making gimmick. Obviously without seeing the rash I cannot be sure but that seems the most likely diagnosis given what you have said. Hope that helps...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
tried to get into a dermatologist and nearest appointment is several weeks away. Not a solution. I will try to get her to take a picture of it and upload a picture. It is a series of little red bumps on a red background on both sides of her labia into the thighs, very itchy and peels. Runs up the butt crack area and has a couple of cracks opened up in that area.
Yes please do try to upload a pic.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, it may take some time as she took Benadryl and is resting now. She is fighting Lyme Disease and on some strong antibiotics 3 different ones. Has been on them for 3 weeks. Is a 6 week course. Her white blood cell count was just below normal before she started these. And she may now have made her immune system more susceptible to these fungal infections. Her CD57 Lyme Disease panel was 18 and that is low and indicated Lyme as it is a NK count and at 18 is low compared to normal at 40-200. This is the Stricker Panel of ILADS.org (International Lyme And Associated Disease Society in California, the most experienced experts in this field).
Thanks for the info. I guess until I see pictures though I would reserve confirming the diagnosis.
By the way, if your daughter is concerned about privacy you can email the pics to [email protected] with the subject 'FAO Dr.Sasi Attili Dermatology Expert'. However the email usually takes 12-24hrs to be passed on to me. Hope to hear from you soon.