Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology
17493159

Does this Baby Quasar MD product really work I have read

Does this Baby Quasar MD product really work? How much better and in what ways is it superior to the Baby Quasar?   I have read some reviews that people have developed red bumps on their face after using it.  Are there other adverse reactions reported with using this product?  How safe is it - does it require special products, does it dry out the skin?

Dr.Sasi Attili :

I would not recommend using it without medical supervision

Dr.Sasi Attili :

These devices are meant only to be used by professionals. There is a risk of skin cancer and other side effects like dry skin/ sunburn if used unsupervised

Customer:

These are sold and reviewed very highly on so many sites and have been FDA approved for home use. If directions are followed and instructions read, why would it not be safe for home use?

Dr.Sasi Attili :

They are FDA approved

Dr.Sasi Attili :

however the device is fairly new and being a dermatologist I would be very sceptical regarding the long term side effects of these at home treatments

Dr.Sasi Attili :

we do not know how safe they would be 10-20 years down the line, which is how long it takes for skin cancers to develo

Customer:

Do you advise light therapy in a dermatologist/professional setting or is that also something whose safety is unknown for another 10 to 20 years down the line?

Dr.Sasi Attili :

Photodynamic therapy in a dermatological setting is much safer and is actually used to treat some forms of skin cancer

Dr.Sasi Attili :

However unregulated treatment with these at home devices is from a dermatological perspective, unsafe

Dr.Sasi Attili :

for that matter even sun tanning beds are FDA approved and we know that they are responsible for the rise in skin cancer

Dr.Sasi Attili :

if you want a good anti-aging treatment you are better off using microdermabrasion and retinol cream

Dr.Sasi Attili :

both o f these are extremely safe

Customer:

Thank you. So the crux of your suggestion for avoiding is more of home use and abuse rather than against photodynamic therapy, correct?

Dr.Sasi Attili :

yes I am not against medically administered photodynamic therapy

Customer:

Ok - thank you for your time.