dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Why do I have sores in my scalp that hurt and ooze. I have

Customer Question

Why do I have sores in my scalp that hurt and ooze. I have been to the dr and have had 2rounds of antibiotics but they still hurt and are not getting better. Please help
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 5 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

Hello

dermdoc19 :

What is your age and sex?

dermdoc19 :

Where exactly on the scalp are you getting these lesions?

dermdoc19 :

Would it be possible to forward a photograph?

Customer : These are on my mother and it won't be until later this afternoon before I can get that done. But as soon as we do we we get back in touch with you. Thanks,,,,,
dermdoc19 :

Good, that would be fine.

Customer : Thanks,,,,,
dermdoc19 :

Hope your are trying to send a photograph. Thank you.

Customer : Sorry for just getting back with you and we did get some pictures but how do we go about sending them to you. E-Mail or is there a way to do it on this site. Sorry Again
dermdoc19 :

you can send it by clicking on the paper clip icon and uploading.

Customer : Ok it's on my wife,s phone and she is at work and it may not be until tonight before I can get it sent to you but I will try to run buy her office later on and see if she is busy. She is a massage therapist. Thanks Again For Your Patience
dermdoc19 :

No problem take your time.

Customer : Thanks
Customer : I just sent the pic as a reply to the email at [email protected] answer.com ....can you please send me your email address if you don't receive the pic...thanks
Customer :

Full Size Image
Here is the pic, finally! So sorry for all the confusion, we are technically challenged sometimes. Also- a skin biopsy has not been done as of yet. These sores have been going on since July and obviously seems to be getting worse, not better.

dermdoc19 :

Thank you for the photograph. It is good one and helpful. This does not appear to be an infection. It may be something uncommon so I would recommend a skin biopsy, both for regular H and E (stnadard) and immunoflorescence. The latter would detect whether she is producing antibodies. I can think of three entities this might be: Bullous lichen plano-pilaris, bullous discoid lupus erythematosus and bullous pephigoid of the Brunsting-Perry type. It would take the above named biopsies to sort this out. None of these would respond well to antibiotics or any steroid short of potent ones.

dermdoc19 :

If you would like I can explain these entities tomorrow, it is getting late here on the East Coast.

dermdoc19 :

One other question? Whose nails are those? They look like the nails of lichen planus. There is good treatment for all of the conditions I mentioned, so it would be valuable to consult with a dermatologist if she has not seen one yet.

Customer : If you can explain all of these different enities that you just sent. Thanks Again,,,,,