Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

I have excessive dry skin on one hand only. My doctor tried

Customer Question

I have excessive dry skin on one hand only. My doctor tried to treat it as dry skin with something for Eczema but after 2 diffrent medications he decided it was some kind of fungus and is now treating it with sulconazole nitrate. Still nothing has changed. The skin is peeling and flaking kinda like its just 1 layer of skin. Just when I think it might be getting better it gets worse. Any suggestions?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

Since when has this been happening?

Is there any redness or thickening of the skin?

Any pain or itching?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this has been happening for about 9 months. the skin has thickened over time and now I feel slight numbness due to the thicking of the skin. no pain occasional itching but not extreme.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
Okay. Would it be possible to take a photograph of the affected hand at your convenience?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes. how would I send it?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
Great! You can upload the pictures to the question box by clicking on the paper clip or tree icon in the question box toolbar. This toolbar does not display in google chrome and safari so an alternate browser may be required.

Another option is to upload pictures to or and send me the link.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
would you happen to have an email address?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.¤t=P1070450.jpg
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the photograph. My first possibility would have been Tinea Manum, which is a fungal infection of the hand, however the lack of significant itching precludes this. The next possibility would have been Keratolysis Exfoliatava, which is like seasonal moulting of the skin of the hands, but the fact that only one hand is affected and you have had symptoms for 9 months again rules this out. Contact Allergic or Irritant dermatitis do not fit into your history. Which leaves us with Palmar Psoriasis. In atypical cases like yours a skin biopsy is usually required to confirm the diagnosis. However another option is to treat for Psoriasis and see if there is any improvement - which will confirm the diagnosis.

Here is a regimen I would recommend for this:

1. Cortizone cream + Mg 217 sal-acid ointment twice a day (morning & evening) over all affected areas. Mix these two creams in equal proportion before applying.

2. Triton Mg 217 intensive strength medicated tar ointment: apply over skin lesions once at night. Wash off in the morning. Can stain clothing so appropriate precautions should be taken.

3. Balnetar Therapeutic Tar Bath: Add to tub of water as directed on the bottle - soak hands in tub for 15-20 minutes. If this is not possible then use soapworks coal tar soap bar and leave lather on for 5 minutes. Product does not smell very good and will stain clothing but is effective.

4. Omega-3 fatty acid capsules - 2 in the morning & 2 at night after meals for 4 weeks and then one capsule twice a day thereafter. Use this only if you have no heart problems.

6. Olive oil or Neutrogena body oil massage on the affected hand once a day. This is optional.

NOTE: All of these are available over the counter without a prescription & online at . Treatment will need to be continued for 2-3 months for maximum benefit.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Should I do all of these over the same time period?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
Yes, that's what gives the best results. If you require any further clarification please feel free to ask. Regards!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thankyou so much. I will try this. Best regards to you also.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
You're most welcome :). All the best!