Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Experience:  Experienced in a wide range of clinical settings including emergency medicine.
11269312

I have itchy scalp and a little numbness, what could it be?

I have had and itchy scalp lately on the left side of my head above my ear over the last week I have had my husband check and its not dandruff its not knits I have checked for this.

It kind of feels like my head is a little numb and also with it I have had stabbing pains around the temple and near the ear in the inward from the hairline.

I have never experienced anything like this before. I have not changed my hair shampoo or anything else has remained the same. I am at a loss as it it getting to the point where I feel like I am rubbing my head, but my husband says there is no redness or anything.

What could this be?

The condition of an abnormal sensation in the head or scalp region is called 'Scalp Dysesthesia'. The different types of abnormal sensations may be pain, burning at the top of the head, itching, crawling, 'lightness', heat, cold, etc.

The exact pathology is not known, but it is theorized that it is probably due to some nerve disorder. The drugs used for treating this is Doxepin or Amytriptiline.

You should consult with your doctor and discuss with him about scalp dysesthesia and also about treatment with doxepin or amytriptiline.

Other things it could be are folliculitis, shingles, etc. These would produce a red rash and lesions which may become apparent later but since you have already had the symptom for weeks now and there is no rash, a nerve disorder seems most likely. However you should discuss this with your doctor.

Other supportive measures that you can try at home are: Maintaining optimum weight, proper diet, vitamin supplements, exercise, treating stress and depression which will help in reducing the symptoms. You should try to achieve this at home. You should also take Vitamin B and Vitamin E supplements which are available at all pharmacies. You should also go for regular exercise

You can look up this study on this condition:
http://archderm.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/134/3/327

I hope my answer has helped you.