Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

I have a rash on my shoulder (horse-shoe shaped). It has lasted

I have a rash on my shoulder (horse-shoe shaped). It has lasted four weeks. My doctor prescribed a steroid cream, but it hasn't helped. It does not itch. It does not hurt. It is about the size of a half dollar.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

Would it be possible to take a photograph of the rash at your convenience? If not do let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the photograph. Tell me was this patch not itchy to begin with or stopped itching after you used the steroid cream?

Is the patch flat or raised?

Do you have any smaller red patches on the body?

Did you notice an insect bite in the center of this horse-shoe shaped patch before it started?

Do you live in the city or in a forested area?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The patch is slightly raised. I don't have any other red patches like this. I do have age spots, etc, There does not appear to be any insect bite in the center of the patch. I live in a golf course community in Florida. There are deer here, but not too many. I do work in the yard, planting flowers and trimming bushes.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. Okay here are the possibilities I am considering - tinea corporis, Lyme disease and the herald patch of pityriasis rosea. If possible I would recommend discussing these three with your doctor and getting the necessary tests. If you cannot see a doctor right now, here is what I would recommend: stop the steroid cream. Instead use 1% Clotrimazole cream on the patch (available over the counter without a prescription). Use it twice a day - if you see a change within 7 days then tinea corporis (fungal infection) is the correct diagnosis - just use the cream for a total of 14 days and you're done. If there is no change in 7 days then you really must see a doctor to rule out Lyme disease.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.