Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology
17493159

I have red blisters on my skin all over my body. There is

I have red blisters on my skin all over my body. There is high concentration on the face, but they are also present on the chest, back, hands and legs. They look almost like pimples. They appeared about 3 days ago and really spread quickly a day later. I can't think of any new food or chemical that I have been exposed to. I think I had a slight fever the day before this started, but it resolved with a night's rest. May or may not be related. I'm allergic to all kinds of pollens, tress and grasses and prone to sinusitis. Yesterday, I started taking Amoxycilin because I could feel sinusitis acting up again. This also may or may not be related.

The blisters are fairly dark red. Some of them are going away - they are not as red now. They are a little itchy. Not quite painful, but uncomfortable.

I have had chickenpox in my childhood. I thought this could be shingles, but I learned that shingles would appear only on one side of the body and these are on both sides.

What is this? Does it need treatment? Is it contagious? What do I need to do?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 3 years ago.

Dr.Sasi Attili : Hi
Dr.Sasi Attili :

Can you clarify whether the blisters you describe are solid or have fluid in them? If so what colour fluid? Is it possible for you to upload a picture?

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The biggers blisters do seem to be filling with clear fluid. Some popped accidentally as I touched them and I could feel some liquid. Some have popped on their own and are now forming small scabs. I'll try to take a picture and see how to upload it.

Please do that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm attaching 3 photos. Face, a close up of the left hand and the chest.

graphicgraphicgraphic

It's difficult to say on the pics so can you clarify whether the blisters seem to arising from hair follicle openings?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Generally, no. I can see one or two blisters centered on chest hair. But there are others that don't seem to be near any hair.

Some more info: I can feel bumps on my scalp. I think these exist below my hair, as well.

I have been having such red blisters off and on for many years. However, I typically just got one at a time and didn't think much of it. This is the first time that I've had such an outbreak.

As you can probably tell from the picture, I had significant problems with acne in my teens and beyond. Even now, I use a salicylic acid face wash to control acne.

Hope this helps.

Ok. I am fairly certain you have an acne like rash caused by a probable viral fever. Shouldn't be contagious. It should settle down on its own within the next 4-5 days. Would suggest simple Calamine lotion 3-4 times per day. If it doesn't settle you can come back here and reply on this same thread. Given that you had chicken pox before, we can rule that out. You are right about it not bring shingles either. I would suggest finishing the course of amoxicillin you have started. Best wishes...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX It's good to know it isn't contagious. I've been avoiding going out, in case it was. I'll get Calamine lotion right away.

Some of them have popped and seem to be exposing lower layer of skin. Is there risk of infection? Anything I should do about that?

Will there be scars? Anything I can do to minimize them?

Any suggestions for prevention? I guess this happened because I'm inherently prone to acne. I've had such blisters / acne on my chest, thighs, etc. in the past, but typically just one or two at a time.

Thanks.

Expert:  replied 3 years ago.
I wouldn't do anything for the ones that have popped unless you notice any pain, inflammation around suggesting infection. As long as you don't scratch, they shouldn't scar. Hope everything settles fine. Yes you can click accept, but still communicate for 7 days after. Best wishes...
Experience: MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology