Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

Little red dot on my nose wont go away

I have had a little red bump on my nose which resembles a raised pimple for the last 4 years. About 4 years ago my girlfriend started to pop my blackheads on my nose, which continued about 5-10 times. About 2-3 weeks after when I had a cold and my nose was runny and really itchy I started rubbing my nose really hard to relieve the internal itch. I guess I rubbed too hard and/or with the combination of my girlfriend squeezing really hard weeks before, something happened and a little spot on my nose appeared and started bleeding profusively; and took 15 minutes with hard pressure to stop the bleeding. Since then it looks like little raised pimple and if I accidentily scrape it, it will start bleeding just like it did when it appeared & bleed years ago. With ALOT of sun exposure, it turns bright red; and with little to no sun for a week or so; it turns light a light pink color. If I put a little pressure on it, it appears that blood slightly disappears for a second, but then looks like it fills back up with blood and turns a lot more red again. I've looked on google images forever and cannot find any similar images to my red bump. It's really embarassing and I need to know what it is, so a dermatologist doesn't make a consultation appointment/fee and re-schedule me to have laser done. If I need laser, I can just tell him/her what kind of appointment I'd like to schedule to save money. It seems like this should be a regular kind of problem, but i've only seen other few people who have the same thing that never goes away. What is this bump?

ADDED:  I know it's not acne or a pimple, I've never had a problem with acne/pimples before.  It's almost like its a scar, but everytime I accidentily scrape it, it bleeds just like it did 4 years ago.

Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.

Can you take a photograph of the affected area at your convenience?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

graphic

Let me know if you need a better quality picture. Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 2 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the photograph. Your bump is suggestive of a pyogenic granuloma. This is a harmless condition comprising of dilated superficial blood vessels. Given its propensity to bleed the lesion is best removed either by electrosurgery or laser. The particular laser required is a CO2 laser. This will be done by a dermatologist whenever you can see one at your convenience. Besides keeping it clean and not traumatizing it there is nothing that you can do yourself to cure the condition.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask in case you have any queries.
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)