Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I have a rash on my stomach and around the top of my legs.

I have a rash on my stomach and around the top of my legs. It does not itch and is not helped with topical meds containing cortisone. I think it may be related to heat and sweating especially where the elastic is on my pants. I also have a rash on my inner arm where you bend your elbow. Any thoughts?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 years ago.

How long have you had this rash for? Is it dry or weepy?

Would it be possible to take a picture of the affected areas at your convenience?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have had the rash on my stomach for several months but the rash on my inner arm I have had for about 1 year. It seems to have spread however in the past few months. It is dry not weepy. Also, the rash on my inner leg is different than the rash on my arm. The rash on my arm is circular and bumpy on the edges. The rash on my leg is more a circular raised area in the middle and not bumpy on the edges. It does not hurt nor does it itch but does seem to be spreading.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 years ago.
Since you have and the rash for so long I'd really prefer seeing what it looks like before offering an opinion if you can take a picture anytime in the next few days. If not do let me know and I'll list the possibilities for the rash.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay I will email you some pictures, The first picture will be of my inner left arm and the second picture will be of my waist and the third will be of my upper inner leg. Many thanks. We are having a thunder storm so I may have some trouble with my connection.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 years ago.
No problem, I check in everyday so whenever you can send the pictures is fine. Please email them toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX with my name (Dr Nair Dermatology Expert) in the subject line. Regards.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the photographs. No I don't think your rash is a heat rash since it lacks the typical appearance and is not itchy. Two of the photographs show a characteristic annular (ring like) morphology. Hence a diagnosis of annular erythemas like erythema annulare centrifugum and erythema migrans needs to be considered. Other possibilities I would consider are granuloma annulare, small plaque parapsoriasis and subacute cutaneous lupus eythematosus. A skin biopsy and blood tests will be required to differentiate between these conditions. I would recommend seeing a dermatologist in the near future to get worked up.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you tell me what they will be looking for with the blood test? Elevated sed rate etc thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I wondered if this may be related to an auto immune disease.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 years ago.

Hi again,

The blood tests I would get done in a case such as yours would include a basic hemogram with peripheral smear, ESR, CRP and biochemistry along with ANA, dsDNA, Anti-Ro and Anti-La. Further tests would depend on these investigation results.

Yes it could be - one of the possiblities I have mentioned (subacute cutaneous lupus erythematosus) is an autoimmune disease.

Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)