Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

I have a rash on my upper, inner thighs/groin area. I saw

I have a "rash" on my upper, inner thighs/groin area. I saw my doctor once and received topical hydrocortisone valerate. It helped a little but this rash has been persistent for 7 months now. Some days its better than others but I have not found any patterns to why that is. As a full time non-traditional student, I only have accident insurance and cannot afford to keep going back to my doctor if she really doesnt know what it is. I have a picture I can send if needed. I'm feeling a bit hopeless.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

A photograph would be helpful, could you please upload it to the question box using the paper clip icon?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
A few other things. The rash does not appear to be affecting the immediate genital area. I do have STD tests pending. It is not itchy. It is slightly raised in some areas. A few spots are raised without any color. The doctor that gave me the hydrocortisone cream thought it was a dermititis but I haven't had any changes in laundry detergent/dryer sheets. The only new medication I started was fish oil back in February. I have also been taking 25mg sertraline daily, low-egestrol birth control, and a multivitamin for >10 years. graphic
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the photograph - has the rash always been non-itchy or only became so after you started using the hydrocortisone cream?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It was never itchy. After using the cream for about 5 days the area gets smaller and less red. I continued to use it twice daily for a month but I would have flare-ups. I stopped using it and the rash will partially clear on it's own for a few days then come back. It's been worse since the weather is warmer.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. This history is suggestive of either Flexural Psoriasis or Seborrheic Dermatitis. I was initially thinking of Candidiasis but this rash is mostly itchy.

Treatment wise the thing is that you would require a stronger steroid cream than hydrocortisone to clear up Psoriasis or Seborrheic Dermatitis, for example Fluticasone cream or Mometasone cream. These typically need to be used for about 14 days or so to clear up the rash. After this they can be tapered off slowly or replace with Pimecrolimus cream for 4-6 weeks which is a non-steroidal cream and works well in the groin region. All of these creams would require a prescription so I would recommend discussing them with your doctor.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries.