Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I appear to have irritated hair follicles on my legs. Large

I appear to have irritated hair follicles on my legs. Large dots appear on my legs. Is there any treatment for these symptoms?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

Would it be possible to take a photograph of the affected area at your convenience? If not do let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sure that my camera would not capture a clear enough image. I can describe it better by saying
that you can see a hair and there is a reddish ring around each follicle. It doesn't hurt or have a rash. It just looks awful and I'm not able to wear shorts because it is visible. I'm not sure what could have caused it but I have had it for a year.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. Your history is suggestive of a diagnosis of 'Keratosis Pilaris'.

This is a condition caused by microscopic scales occluding follicular orifices (hair follicle openings). The dots can be skin coloured, whitish or reddish. The condition is absolutely harmless and has a waxing and waning course, becoming more prominent in dry or winter months. It is often associated with dry skin.

Here is what will help:

1. Retin-A cream applied once a night over the most affected areas. Benefit usually takes 6-8 weeks of regular use.

2. Moisturizing cream with 10-20% urea. Use a cream such as Urea care cream ( http://www.amazon.com/UREA-CARE-6-OZ-TUBE/dp/B000VTC3Q4/ref=pd_sim_bt_1
) twice a day over the affected areas. You can combine it with Amlactin cream, applying it 10 min after Amlactin.

3. Vitamin A 25,000 IU once a day after breakfast for 4 weeks.

4. Avoid soaps. Switch to a soap free body wash (Nivea makes one)

NOTE: Retin-A cream will require a prescription. The rest can be bought over the counter.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I thought about KP but my skin does not have any bumps just spots around the hair follicles. My skin is smooth! looks like a small black dot in the middle of the redness. doesn't feel like ingrown hair cause it doesn't hurt but it looks like little hairs below the surface of my skin. It is worse in the summertime.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

You know it is a misconception that KP's always need to be raised bumps - sure the classic lesions are described as spiny bumps but I have seen plenty of patients with just flat red or brown spots around the hair follicles. Some of these patients have the spots year round. Regards.