Dermadoc
Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, DNB DERMATOLOGY
19010125

My scalp is producing less oil than before and my hair is falling

My scalp is producing less oil than before and my hair is falling out. I had my hair dyed 7 weeks ago and my scalp became tight, some burning, and hair started falling out all over. It's still falling, but it doesn't burn as much and it isn't as tight was it was before. However, I know my scalp isn't producing as much oil as before. My scalp used to get a little greasy and itchy after a couple days of not washing it. Now, it doesn't at all. What can I do? Is the hair fall from my scalp being so dry?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 5 years ago.

Dermadoc :

hello

Customer:

you there?

Dermadoc :

yes

Customer:

hello

Dermadoc :

thehair fall may not be only due to the dryness.

Customer:

ok

Dermadoc :

but hair fall may be due to an allergy that u got after applying hair dye possibly.

Customer:

would that make my scalp produce less oil?

Dermadoc :

u will need to apply a cortisone lotion twice daily for 10 days.

Customer:

would contact dermatitis make my scalp produce less oil?

Dermadoc :

yes it can make your scalp produce less oil, due to the inflammation it might have produced.

Dermadoc :

yes contact dermatitis can do that.

Customer:

ok. good to know. when will it get back to normal? can i still have inflammation without a lot of burning?

Customer:

I think you're the doc i've been speaking to before. I just sent you a follow up message from our first posting.

Customer:

My dermatologist has diagnosed me with TE and said my hair loss will probably last for months. Does this sound right to you?

Customer:

I've been using topical corticosteroids for weeks, but am trying to stop because of the side effects and because it's not burning so much, but my hair is still falling out a lot and my scalp isn't back to normal

Dermadoc :

telogen effluvium is a possibility, thgis happens in case the scalp receives any stress whatsoever. all the hair go into resting phase and once they are released the hair starts falling.

Customer:

Hair fall with TE usually starts months after the event. My hair started falling two days after the hair dye. Could it still be TE?

Dermadoc :

it could still be TE which is already present in your case and now has just got aggaravated with hair dye.

Customer:

You mentioned coconut oil last time. Can I use that with Rogaine?

Dermadoc :

i suggest that u continue with cortisone lotion which is very mild.

Dermadoc :

u can use coconut oil with rogaine, there is no problem.

Customer:

it doesn't block the Rogaine from absorbing? I'm not washing my hair often

Dermadoc :

no, it wont block rogaine from absorbing but u need to wash atleast twice a week.

Customer:

OK. You still think I have inflammation and need to use corticosteroids or cortisone lotion then?

Dermadoc :

yes that would be better. also u can take tab. claritin 10 mg at night daily for 10 days to reduce the inflammation.

Customer:

... and how long do you think my hair loss will last?

Dermadoc :

atleast a month or so.

Customer:

what would be better? ... i want to make sure i know what you meant.. did you mean using corticosteroids or cortisone lotion with the Rogaine or were you saying one (corticosteroids or cortisone lotion) is better?

Customer:

what were you typing?

Dermadoc :

i am saying:- 1. cortisone lotion once a day on the scalp. 2. rogaine twice a day on the scalp. 3. coconut oil once a day on the scalp.

Customer:

i have some herbal coconut oil.. but it seems like it might irritate the scalp a little.. should i get some virgin coconut oil instead?

Dermadoc :

yes that would be better.

Customer:

and it's hard to say how much hair I will lose, isn't it?

Customer:

i'm taking fish oil, flax seed oil, garlic, vitamin c too.. think that will help any?

Dermadoc :

they wont help directly but they are good for the body. u can surely take them.

Customer:

yea

Customer:

ok

Customer:

what about how much hair I will lose?

Customer:

you were typing something?

Dermadoc :

u may lose more than 100 hair a day but with treatment it will reduce.

Customer:

i'm definitely losing more than that. yea, that's what I've been told. Just wondering how much total .. but i think you mentioned 25% before... I've read it could be up to 75%

Customer:

that's big difference.. just was hoping for good news or that it will probably be the lesser amount

Dermadoc :

its difficult to comment but the treatment will surely make a difference.

Customer:

Are both the Rogaine and steroids equally important/ helpful? or is Rogaine a must or steroids a must?

Dermadoc :

both are a must in your case and both will be helpful.

Customer:

ok.

Dermadoc :

please let me know if you have any queries.

Are you finding this answer useful?

hope this answer was useful. please click on the green accept button if so. any bonus or positive feedback would be appreciated.