Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

Itchy scalp, but no dandruff or head lice, what could it be?

My scalp itches like crazy!!! No dandruff no head lice.

kinda warm.. just started 3 weeks ago..driving me nuts!

Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
Have you noticed any transient bumps on the scalp? Do you have any other medical problems and if so have you started any new prescription medicines coinciding with the onset of the itching?
Have you been under lot of stress over the last month?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I've had small bumps like pimple wich is new on scalp.. No new meds.. I've gotten hives in past on arms.. I do have hormone issues. Plus eyes issues headaches on n off and probls with tingling in hands n feet with deep breaths waitin on nurologist appointment. Father does have egzima on scalp but no rash on my head
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the information. An itchy scalp without any localizing symptoms such as scaling or another systemic illness is most often due to localized hives in the scalp or because of the nerves become hyperreactive (usually triggered by stress). Dry hair and scalp is another trigger. If you have no other symptoms then there is no need for extensive investigations to look for a systemic illness. I would recommend a cooling shampoo such as one containing menthol followed by a hair conditioner for daily use. Also apply a hair oil once or twice a week to moisturize the scalp - apply it overnight and wash off in the morning. Along with these measures start Tab Claritin 10 mg twice a day for 14 days and Tab Biotin 5 mg twice a day for 4 weeks. I think this should sort out your problem. All of these products are available over the counter without a prescription.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.