dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I got a rash on my scrotum which I believe to be contact dermatitis

I got a rash on my scrotum which I believe to be contact dermatitis from sexual intercourse with a woman of questionable nature. I used a condom during intercourse, and there was no unprotected sex. Since that time, I have had itching, burning, and redness in my scrotum and the base of my penis, which radiates to my legs and rectal area. I have pain while sitting down. If I don’t use a steroid cream every day, it becomes painful for me to sit down for long periods of time. My scrotum is a bright pink color all of the time, and bright red after taking a shower.

This rash has not spread to my legs or other parts of my body. But my scrotum gets irritated by heat, and sitting down for long periods of time. By the end of a day of sitting, it has a scaly appearance. Haven’t seen normal skin color on my scrotum for 2 months now.

Standing seems to temporarily relieve these symptoms. I also have blushing in my face and different parts of my body, and sometimes experience hot flashes since I got this condition. Have had it for about 2 months now.

My testicles are a more normal color only in the morning when I first wake up. I feel like this is a vascular problem, because I feel it in other parts of my body, not just in my scrotum. Have seen the term “Red Scrotum Syndrome” on the Internet -- I believe that I have this, but that the condition is also vascular.

I have used various steroid creams for 4-6 weeks which have failed to resolve my problem.

I tried 2 weeks of doxycycline antibiotics but this did not work.

Please advise if you have any ideas of what I could do with this type of condition to make it better.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

Hello

dermdoc19 :

This can be difficult to treat as yu may have found out. It is the scrotal equivalent of pruritus ani, but fortunately is more amenable to treatment.

dermdoc19 :

I would offer the following suggestions: Check for yeast, this can look just like red scrotum syndrome. You can empirically try micatin ointment twice a day. A

dermdoc19 :

Avoid clothing dyed blue, purple or yellow.

dermdoc19 :

Switch to All Free&Clear if you are not using a hypo-allergenic detergent.

dermdoc19 :

Avoid fabric softener and bleach.

dermdoc19 :

Use Zeasorb AF powder after showering and before exercising.

dermdoc19 :

Avoid steroid creams and try either Cerave or Cetaphil Restoraderm moisturizer.

dermdoc19 :

HAppy to answer further questions to help you with this most troublesome condition.

Customer:

Thanks for your response. I appreciate your suggestions as to how I can deal with this.I have a couple of questions

Customer:

1) Is this an STD? Why can't this be cured? Is this permanent? Is this easily transmissible to a women? If I wanted to date someone in the future, how could I prevent this from being transmitted?

Customer:

Is this a vascular problem?

Customer:

2) What should I use when I need to sit down for long periods of time at my job? I have found that if I do not use this locoid cream, I have real difficulty sitting down for long periods of time and have to keep shifting positions.

Customer:

-- I got a skin biopsy and it was negative, the only thing it showed was that my skin is inflammed in the scrotal area.

Customer:

3) Does diet play a role in managing this condition?

Customer:

4) On the Cerave do you mean that I should use the cream or the moisturizing lotion?

dermdoc19 :

Definitely not an STD. More common than you would think. Not permanent although it is difficult to treat. Non transmissible, unless it is caused by yeast. In that case it is. I would be sure it is not yeast.

Customer:

OK

dermdoc19 :

You should use Cerave Cream instead of Locoid if it is the lubricating effect that is helping.

Customer:

So.. If I got this after sexual intercourse with a woman, and I used a condom, then it is yeast, and it is transmissible?

Customer:

Thanks I will try the Cerave cream

Customer:

Is it possible then I could have a yeast infection? I know I got this after having an encounter with a woman.. is it possible I picked up her yeast infection.

Customer:

I have other symptoms too.. flushing in the face.. at first my skin itched all over. It's been hard to figure this one out.

dermdoc19 :

Diet is an interesting idea. We do you diet for pruritus ani, which as I mentioned is similar. However, that is because stool carries remnants of foods. Some people say chocolate and nuts, especially hazel nuts can worsen this but the evidence is not conclusive.

Customer:

ok

dermdoc19 :

Cervaev cream is more concentrated.

Customer:

I will order some and try it. What would I do in the future to prevent me transmitting this to another person, since in the past another person transmitted this to me?

dermdoc19 :

It very well could be a yeast infection which triggered it and it is possible that yeast is still contributing mightily.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

How could I identify it as a yeast infection? I have been to 1 urologist, 1 dermatologist -- the dermotologist told me to make an appointment with a new urologist and get some tests done

dermdoc19 :

If your face is flushing this could be rosacea....but I have never heard of rosacea of the scrotum. However you may possibly have an overactive vascular system. Check your blood pressure.

Customer:

My blood pressure.. OK. Good idea, I will check it

Customer:

I have asthma, so I take this ventolin inhaler, which speeds up my heart rate a little.

Customer:

In terms of the redness of the skin on my scrotum and underneath my scrotum, is there a way to get that down?

dermdoc19 :

If is is yeast clear it up topically. But orally Diflucan would be good. Yeast can dwell in the colon. Diflucan would kill it there. Also Probiotics: Lactobacillus in milk, Kefir and Oregano tablets or in food.

dermdoc19 :

The Ventolin also may be dilating yur blood vessels a bit.

Customer:

OK, thanks I appreciate that. I will investigate Diflucan.

Customer:

That makes sense about the ventolin.. I need to keep taking it because my airways get constricted, the air is very polluted where I live. Maybe when the air gets better I will do better?

Customer:

Like in the winter time perhaps.

dermdoc19 :

Using Cerave will help the irritation and hence the redness. Pramasone 1% cream will help too.

Customer:

I still don't understand how this could not be an STD.. If I got it after having sex.. It sounds like an STD. I know it is not a known STD.

Customer:

OK

dermdoc19 :

Lucky you are not around here. We have smoke all the time....there is a fire in the Great Dismal Swamp and the are is not cloudy.

Customer:

Oh my gosh..

Customer:

OK

dermdoc19 :

Candida, if you have this, is not classified as a sexual transmitted disease.

Customer:

I looked up this pramasone 1%.. it is hydrocortisone cream

Customer:

I tried 2.5% hydrocortisone -- a prescription from my dermatologist, and it didn't seem to affect it

Customer:

OK -- but can Candida be transmitted through sexual contact?

dermdoc19 :

You can use this intermittently, but I would not use anything stronger than 1% hydrocortisone the other ingredient in it is excellent and if you want to try just Prax... that is fine...but Pramasone will help with the redness.

Customer:

It is heat activated.. whenever my scrotum gets hot, it is affected. Whenever it doesn't have enough room to breath, like when I am sitting down a lot in my job, it gets irritated from those things.

dermdoc19 :

I guess it can...;.but it is still not classified by the CDC as an STD since it can be picked up in many other ways.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

What is Diflucan is that an antibiotic that I should take?

Customer:

I will order the cerave mosturizing cream as you suggest to me..

Customer:

You said that this is not permanent.. How could I get rid of it so it would not bother me anymore?

dermdoc19 :

It is an anti-fungal which kills yeast and fungi. It is a prescription item. Of course, all the probiotics I mentioned are OTC.

Customer:

Is there a topical antifungal which I could put on it to take it out?

Customer:

I have taken oral antibiotics before.. I am senstive to these as my nose gets really stuffy when i take a full probiotic.

dermdoc19 :

Yes, Micatin cream.

dermdoc19 :

Diflucan is not an antibiotic.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

I will try Micatin cream.. How long should I try it for to see if it will work for me?

dermdoc19 :

Have never heard of Kefir or milk causing nasal stuffiness, usually the problem is at the other end....

dermdoc19 :

Use Micatin for two weeks.

dermdoc19 :

Twice a day.

Customer:

Can I use the cerave at the same time during the day?

Customer:

I understand. No, it's not milk or kefir that bothers me.. It's when I take a probiotic tablet like Primal Defense, my nose gets stuffy from that. I think I have a lot of toxins in my system but because I have asthma now it's hard to exercise which would produce a sweat to help get the toxins out.

dermdoc19 :

I would sue it when you are sitting for prolonged periods. Use Micatin at night. Also keep these all refrigerated since they will last longer and feel cool on the skin when applied.

dermdoc19 :

There might be an ingredient in Primal Defense which is irritating.

Customer:

yes, makes sense..

Customer:

Do I need to get a prescription for Micatin from my doctor or could I buy it over the counter?

Customer:

It's OK, I will find out. Do you know of a type of probiotic which would not be irritating but which will help clear out yeast?

Customer:

Is there a test my urologist can give me to verify that I have a yeast infection in the scrotum?

dermdoc19 :

Micatin is OTC as is Lotrimin which would also be effective.

dermdoc19 :

About the Probiotics....that is about the end of my knowledge regarding Probiotics and Yeast. I would suggest the writings of Dr. Crook... a dermatologist who did a lot of research in the area.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX look into Dr. Cook's writings.

dermdoc19 :

I would probably see a dermatologist, since we are more accustomed to testing for that. A KOH scraping can be done in the office and is cheap and accurate. A fungal culture otherwise. Yeast grows out quickly, but it will still take a week or two for the result.

Customer:

OK

Customer:

I did see one dermatologist, but she only did a biopsy, which came out negative it only showed inflammation.

dermdoc19 :

Should really have a culture done.

Customer:

I saw my regular primary care doctor and she talked about a scraping, but she said there wasn't enough to scrape or that she doubted she would be able to get anything.

dermdoc19 :

BTW first name is William ( Crook)

Customer:

Maybe I should see another dermatologist.

Customer:

Thank you re: William Crook.

dermdoc19 :

If not enough to scrape...you would need a culture.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

How would I get a culture, do I just ask my dermatologist to perform a culture for fungus?

dermdoc19 :

Anybody can do a culture...I am not saying this is Yeast...but the possibility should be ruled out for sure.

Customer:

OK thanks, XXXXX XXXXX sounds like a good idea. I'm going to make an appointment with this urologist since my dermatoligist suggested it, I will ask him to perform a culture for me.

dermdoc19 :

You could mention that yes...to do a culture.

Customer:

That's just like a swab on my skin right? That's a culture?

Customer:

So one question I have say that it is fungal, how come it would not respond to the creams I have tried like locoid cream and clotrimazole and betamethasone dipropionate cream, would these be antifungal creams?

dermdoc19 :

Just a swab and put into a media and sent off.. No Locoid is a steroid. the Clotrimazole by itself might have worked but the betamethasone dipropinate is a rather strong fungus and suppresses the immune system and promotes yeast....

Customer:

oh ok.. thanks, XXXXX XXXXX know that.

Customer:

I will ask for a swab at my next appointment.

dermdoc19 :

I meant to say a strong steroid

Customer:

ok

Customer:

So, I should take this micotin twice per day and use cerave when I am sitting down for now. This micotin I found online is a spray, is that correct I would spray it on my scrotum right?

Customer:

MICATIN 2% POWDER AEROSOL 90GM this is what I should get right?

dermdoc19 :

No, I would use the cream...

Customer:

oh.. OK..

Customer:

I looked it up @ Walgreens.com and that is what I found.

dermdoc19 :

you might have to go to a pharmacy...and it may even be in the vaginal creams...Spraying can be irritating due to its volatile oils.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

I will go to a pharmacy this week and look for it, thanks I appreciate your advice on that.

dermdoc19 :

I am positive it can be found as a cream.

Customer:

ok, I will look for it.

Customer:

Will the cerave bring down the inflammation? I think that is what is causing the discomfort when I sit down.

Customer:

I tried gold bond, but it doesn't seem to stop the inflammation, it kind of soothes it but does not work too well.

dermdoc19 :

It should it restores the skin barrier.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

So I should use the Zeasorb AF powder after I shower, the cerave moisturizing lotion when I sit down, and the micatin 2x per day for 2 weeks right?

Customer:

Should I also use the gold bond or is that too many things at once?

dermdoc19 :

Yes..along with all the other advice regarding detergent, fabric softeners etc.

dermdoc19 :

Too much...I frankly do not now Gold Bond's ingredients like a I do the others.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

So I should use just the cerave lotion and the micatin for 2 weeks?

dermdoc19 :

yes

Customer:

I have my gold bond here. Active ingredients are Dimethicone 6% and Pramoxine Hydrocloride 1%.

Customer:

OK, thanks.. I will take your advice on this. I'll order some cerave moisturizing lotion and pick up some micatin cream at the pharmacy.

dermdoc19 :

Those look like good ingredients. Pramoxine HCL is in PRAX, Itch X and Pramasone.

Customer:

OK, I will try your suggestions on the medications. Could we talk again sometime if I need to try something else and/or vary my approach?

Customer:

Could I also ask you what quantities of these medications to apply -- the micatin and the cerave mosturizer? Should I use a lot of quantity when applying to my skin, or only use a little at a time?

Customer:

The other thing i would like to say is that my skin feels warm around my penis / scrotum since I have had this condition, more than it used to. Is this atypical of a yeast infection or a vascular condition?

Customer:

Well, I appreciate the help that you have done for me this evening regarding my condition.

Customer:

I will accept and will try what you have suggested for me to improve my condition.

dermdoc19 :

You can a=continue to ask questions for two weeks after an ACCEPT.

Customer:

Thank you. I appreciate all of your help.

dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience: 30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology