Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

I have small raised red itchy spots on both palms of my hands.

I have small raised red itchy spots on both palms of my hands. It is so itchy it nearly drives me mad. I don't know if it is diet related but I have deleted tomatoes and strawberries and acidy foods from the diet but it doesn't seem to work. I always wear gloves with cotton gloves inside. Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated Jean
PS: I also use sorbolene to wash and shower for about 10 years now when the dermatitus began.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 years ago.

Do these spots come and go? If so is there any particular season when they are worse?

Do you ever get tiny blisters on the hands as well?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, the spots come and go, sometimes with a week or a few days between, anytime in the year. I can often see a red spot as if in the middle of the cell under the skin. The itch may even wake me up in the night or just begin any where any time. I carry the cream with me at all times. No blisters.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information.Your history is suggestive of either Contact Allergic Dermatitis of the hands or Pompholyx . The former is caused due to contact with an allergen that causes the skin to break out into a rash. This allergen can be a variety of things but plants, detergents, chemicals, dyes and nickel are common culprits.

Pompholyx is a special type of hand and feet eczema without any external cause, though often the symptoms are only localized to the hands.

Luckily the treatment for both conditions is virtually the same.

I would normally recommend a short course of oral steroids (60 mg prednisolone once a day for 3 days, then tapered to 40 mg for 3 days, 30 mg for 3 days, 20 mg for 3 days, 10 mg for 3 days and stopped) along with Fucibet cream to apply over the affected area but these would require a prescription. Here is what you can do presently:

1. Apply 1% Cortizone cream + Bacitracin ointment over the affected area twice a day. Mix the creams in a 1:1 ratio before applying. To make them more effective, apply a layer of vaseline over the creams, 5 min after applying them at night or cover with cling wrap.

2. Tab Claritin 10 mg taken once in the morning and night.

3. Avoid soaps - Use Nivea Soap free body wash over the affected area for cleansing.

4. Avoid contact with the detergents and artificial jewelry or anything containing nickel. Keep your hands well moisturized. Make sure you wear gloves while gardening and washing clothes/utensils. Avoid or cut down on canned foods or foods with a lot of preservatives.

The above measures should help the rash subside in 14-28 days.Once the rash is clear keep your hands as well moisturized as possible. If it persists beyond this period then I would recommend seeing a dermatologist in person. If this is required then it will be worthwhile requesting to get a full allergy screen done: this would include patch testing, blood allergy test to inhaled and ingested allergens and serum IgE levels.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.

P.S: Sorry about the delayed reply, for some reason did not see your reply till just now.
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. I have never heard of Pompholyx before but sounds as if it could be that. No one could give me a name for this disabling itch. At times I have wished I could cut off the hands just to get rid of the problem..which would of course create a worse problem! I do a lot of fine craft work and sometimes the hands are so sore, red and swollen it hurts to pick up the tiny pieces. Yes, I always wear gloves for work.
Sorry, glad wrap is not going to happen..have tried wearing gloves in bed and I just can't but will try the other suggestions. Thanks Jean
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning,

You're most welcome! I hope you feel better with the suggested line of treatment. Regards.