Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

I have a large round red patch of skin under each armpit.

I have a large round red patch of skin under each armpit. It stings and itches. Any ideas?

How long have you had these patches?

Which of these photographs do the patches resemble:

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
definitely not the bottom one, and it isn't as red as the top one and it covers a larger area, about 6 inches in diameter. They started about 6 weeks ago, they last for a few days then go away and then they come back
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. Your clinical picture and history are consistent with a diagnosis of cutaneous candidiasis. This is caused by a yeast called candida. Purely steroid based creams like hydrocortisone do not clear this, they only suppress symptoms which recur promptly on stopping the cream. This is because they don't kill the yeast (candida) and may actually allow it to spread. For cure the yeast has to be targeted as well.

Here is what should clear it up

1% Cortizone cream + 2% Miconazole cream: Mix and apply over the affected areas twice a day for 14 days

Zeasorb-AF powder
: Apply twice a day (noon, early evening) over the affected area for 10-14 days then once a day for 14 days after the creams are stopped

Keep the area as dry and clean as possible.

Tab Claritin 10 mg twice a day for 14 days

NOTE: All of the above are available without a prescription.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.