Dr. Skinner
Dr. Skinner, Dermatologist
Experience:  MD , DNB ( D &V), FAAD

My daughter has an itchy rash all over her body with red spots

Customer Question

My daughter has an itchy rash all over her body with red spots that are swelled up. She has had it over two weeks and is constantly scatching the areas. Should I take her to a dermatologist , what is you recommendation.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Skinner replied 5 years ago.
can u please post a photo ? Is the rash persistent or do they clear and recur ? any fever ? thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The rash is persistant and very itchy but she has no fever. Cannot find a dermotologist until Sept. It is red with bubbles and in different spots on her body, some of it is faint to see but it itches so she keeps scratching them. She won't let me take a picture, she's self-conscious. I'll keep trying to get a photo! Thank you!
Then it is likely to be papular urticaria.Would suggest to continue cortisone cream by day and Calamine lotion by night daily for 2 weeks along with oral claritin 10mg daily for 2 weeks.Thanks.Queries welcome.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What causes this I have never heard of this. Her boyfriend has the same thing is it contagious? What is it exactly?
papular urticaria is an exagerrated insect bite reaction.However if her boyfriend also has this problem, one has to rule out scabies as well.So kindly look at the finger webs, the inner border of the wrist for any eruptions.If they are present they are likely to be scabies.In that case both of them should apply permethrin cream overnight all over body below neck and wash off after 12 hours.Repeat weekly for 2 weeks and continue with the previous management which was suggested.Thanks.