Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

A small oval, flat spot , on the bridge of my nose, for years,

Customer Question

A small oval, flat "spot", on the bridge of my nose, for years, has recently increased in size. It is clear in color, looks like a blister without the fluid. It becomes dark in appearence when I put pressure on it. There is a pin head size white spot in the center, under the skin. I have no pain, itching, or other indication that it is there. What is this?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

Which of these does your lesion resemble the most:

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

None of the above.

The spot is flat, like a deflated blister.

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
Okay. Would you be able to take a photograph of the lesion at your convenience? If not do let me know and I'll list the possibilities.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It doesn't show up on photograph. It's on bridge of nose and looks just a little dark. No raised area. Nothing noticable unless magnified. About 1/4 inch spot.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. Your history is most suggestive of a Seborrheic Keratosis (SK). This is a normal age related skin change and the face is one of the commonest sites affected.

These skin lesions are not infective and not a type of skin cancer. Their size can vary from that of a small rice grain to larger that a quarter. Their color may range from exactly like the skin to black, and the lesions are flat like you have described.

When patients are concerned because of the cosmetic disfigurement they cause I offer to remove them with CO2 laser or radiofrequency ablation. You could discuss these options with your dermatologist in person if so desired.

I would recommend starting Capsule Beta Carotene taken twice day after meals for 3 months, then once a day indefinitely. This is an antioxidant and has numerous positive health benefits besides its role in the skin where it prevents/slows down age related changes and the appearance of more SKs.

Lastly since I can't see your lesion you should discuss my diagnosis with your dermatologist just to make sure we don't miss anything.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Other leisions I am concerned about...

very tiny bumps, no fluid content, no discoloration. Multiple on forhead above left eye. Firm feeling with tiny indented spot in center.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What are they?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
Sorry had to rush to clinic, just got back. These spots you have described are consistent with Sebaceous Hyperplasia. This is also a harmless age relayed change. If treatment is desired for cosmesis then they can be removed with a CO2 laser. Regards.