Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

Red spots on the arms and legs due to an allergy

I have some red spots on my arms and legs. How do I know what I am allergic to?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

How long have you had these spots? Do they itch? How big are they?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had them a year ago, but they disappeared after I tried the Aveeno lotion and body wash. They appeared again a few months ago but this time, the old methods did not work. They itch only a little. When they first appear, there will be a little burning sensation for a few days. They are about 1 cm in diameter. It is like red in the middle and then dry circle surrounding it.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
Okay. Would you be able to take a photograph of these spots at your convenience?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the photographs. Do these spots come and go over the course of a day or have they been persistent since they appeared this time?

Do they ever weep (have a clear sticky discharge)?

Do you have any history of cold sores?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They are persistant and are always there once they emerged. They have however, lost some color but are still there. They never weep. No i don't have history of cold sores
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

Sorry about the delayed reply. Your spots will need to be looked at by a doctor in person. They do not look like a simple allergy to me. The possibilities I would consider are erythema multiforme, eruptive granuloma annulare and lichen planus. These are inflammatory skin conditions and of no health concern apart from the rash that they cause. The standard course of action is to do a skin biopsy which will be able to differentiate between these three. There are effective prescription treatment options for all three but nothing over the counter that works consistently (you have already tried cortizone cream).