Dermadoc
Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, DNB DERMATOLOGY
19010125

A few weeks ago I began itching around my nose. Later, red

A few weeks ago I began itching around my nose. Later, red areas developed on both sides of my nose and spread in the linear direction of the crease leading from the nose to the right & left edges of my mouth. My cousin, who is a nurse, told me it was dermititis and to use some cortizone on it. I followed her advice and the itching and a portion of the redness subsided but now I have clusters of small whiteheads covering the current & previous red streaks. Please help! Thank you in advance, MJ.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 3 years ago.

Dermadoc :

hello

Dermadoc :

it does sound like dermatitis that you had

Dermadoc :

whiteheads may be folliculitis which is a bacterial infection, it will need to be treated with the help of neosporin cream

Dermadoc :

this cream will have to be applied twice daily for 15 days

Dermadoc :

u can stop the cortisone cream now, in case dermatitis reappears then u cud use it twice a day for 10 days

Dermadoc :

neosporin cream will be available over the counter

Customer:

Thank you. What could have caused the dermatitis in th first place and is it usual for it to be followed by the appearance of all those little whiteheads? What causes folliculitis & and how do I get rid of the whiteheads?????

Dermadoc :

dermatitis may have an external cause or it may occur sometimes if one has a tendency to get it, there is usually a difficulty in identifying the cause. applying steroid creams can help the bacteria grow in that area and will let them infect the hair roots causing this kind of folliculitis. applying neosporin cream twice daily for 15 days will resolve it completely.

Dermadoc :

please let me know if you have any queries

hope this answer was useful. please click on the green accept button if so. any bonus or positive feedback would be appreciated

Customer:

Do you mean that the whiteheads will go away with following the neosporin regimen?

Dermadoc :

yes thats what i mean

Dermadoc :

please let me know if you have any more queries

Customer:

OK, I will definitely take your advice and a sure hope you are right! Thanks Dermadoc!

Dermadoc :

you are welcome

Dermadoc :

hope this answer was useful. please click on the green accept button if so. any bonus or positive feedback would be appreciated.

Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist
Experience: MBBS, DNB DERMATOLOGY