Dermadoc
Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, DNB DERMATOLOGY

Recently I have had random swelling on my face. It started

Recently I have had random swelling on my face. It started with my lower lip and went away in a couple of hours, next it went to my upper lip and again went away in a couple of hours. Once again my upper lip began to swell and went away in a couple of hours. A couple of days ago my left eye began to swell and started itching. The next morning my eye swelled again. I also noticed that the palm of one or the other hand (at different times) was itching. It seemed to go away with hand washing. I thought it may be hand sanitizer but tried the exact same brand a couple of times with no reaction. The last day or so (after the last attack) my blood pressure has been up and down and I have felt nausious and very tired. Hands are itching now but no swelling.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 3 years ago.

Dermadoc :

hello

Dermadoc :

hello,

you seem to be having angioedema.

this is a swelling, similar to hives, but the swelling is beneath the skin rather than on the surface. The hives are called welts. It is also possible to have angioedema without hives.

Symptoms

The main symptom is the sudden development of swelling. it usually occurs around the eyes and lips.

this condition cannot be taXXXXX XXXXXghtly and has to be treated on a priority basis.

the reason why it needs to be treated urgently is because it causes-

• Abdominal cramping

• Breathing difficulty

• Swollen eyes and mouth

• Swollen lining of the eyes (chemosis)

it may cause so much swelling of the mucous membranes that it may be difficult for a person to breathe.

you should first take a good antihistaminic like fexofenadine 180 mg once daily.
for right now, u need to take the antihistaminic and if the swelling doesn't start coming down within the next hour or you start having any breathing difficulties or any of the above mentioned systemic symptoms, , you should see your doctor, who will be able to administer you with injections of antihistaminic and an injectable corticosteroid which is fast acting.
please keep observing the swelling, if it starts to come down then it will come down with the oral antihistaminic.

Dermadoc :

please let me know if you have any queries

hope this answer was useful. please click on the green accept button if so. any bonus or positive feedback would be appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What causes it? There seems to be no pattern. Does it cause fatigue or blood pressure issues or are these symptoms of something else? And one other thing, I have sores in my ears that sometimes run. Is it related?
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 3 years ago.
there are thousands of causes. it can be food, medications, dust, pollen etc. there is never any pattern. its just a tendency that you have. it doesnt cause fatigue or blood pressure issues, it is unrelated. sores in your ears is not related. it sounds like eczema. you can apply cortisone cream mixed with neosporin cream twice daily for 7 days.

Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist
Experience: MBBS, DNB DERMATOLOGY
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 3 years ago.
please let me know if you have any queries. are you satisfied with the answer?