Dermadoc
Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, DNB DERMATOLOGY
19010125

My 83 year old grandmother has shingles. The doctor gave her

My 83 year old grandmother has shingles. The doctor gave her medicine that makes her terribly sick (vomiting), so she won't take the medicine. She is miserable and there's not a thing the family can do about it. What other course of action would you suggest?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dermadoc replied 3 years ago.

Dermadoc :

hello

Customer:

hi

Dermadoc :

which medicine has he given?

Dermadoc :

can u tell me the name?

Customer:

umm... my dad MAY know the name of it, but his memory isn't all that great. let me see if i can get it out of him.

Dermadoc :

ok

Dermadoc :

if its not valacyclovir, then thats the medication that she needs to be on

Customer:

all he knows is that her doctor prescribed her an antibiodic and pain medicine and they both make her sick.. then she took nausea medicine which also made her sick.

Customer:

so you're saying she needs to be on valacyclovir?

Dermadoc :

yes surely

Dermadoc :

in old individuals, its important to treat shingles with valacyclovir

Customer:

is it more gentle or something?

Dermadoc :

if its not treated, it is severe, takes long time to heal, also causes a lot of pain afterwards

Dermadoc :

its a drug thats better absorbed

Customer:

are there any at-home treatments, like compresses, that could help at all?

Customer:

the doctor only prescribed her the antibiodic for one week. is that long enough?

Dermadoc :

the doctor may have given an antibiotic for a week, thats ok, but it has to be an antiviral that will treat her

Dermadoc :

there is no at home treatment to reduce the lesions

Dermadoc :

but cold compresses will help her irritation if any

Dermadoc :

also she can apply neosporin cream twice daily

Customer:

is neosporin better than polysporin?

Dermadoc :

yes

Dermadoc :

polysporin wont be effective

Customer:

my dad says: she's been to the doctor twice for it... the first time they gave her the 7 day prescription, the second time they gave her a shot for the pain and told her it just has to work its way out of her system while she takes the medicine...

Dermadoc :

i will recommend that you let her apply neosporin cream twice daily

Customer:

okay... i will pass the information along. and i will try to see what medicine was originally prescribed.

Dermadoc :

meanwhile you can go back to the doctor, discuss my suggestions of valacyclovir with him n get a prescription for it

Customer:

i will certainly do that.

Customer:

thank you for your help

Dermadoc :

please let me know if you have any queries

hope this answer was useful. please click on the green accept button if so. any bonus or positive feedback would be appreciated.

Customer:

thanks :)

Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist
Experience: MBBS, DNB DERMATOLOGY