Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

I have very tiny flat red dots on the bottom of my left foot

I have very tiny flat red dots on the bottom of my left foot on the arch. They don't itch. CAN YOU HELP?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

Can you take a photograph of these spots at your convenience?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't have access to a camera at the moment> they look like very tiny flat red dots only near the side if my foot where the arch is.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
Okay, since when have you had these spots?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I noticed them 2 days ago. They're really tiny. You have to get real close
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
Does the redness fade on pressure?

Do you think you could have had them for a while and just noticed them 2 days ago or are you positive that these spots were not there say last week?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm not sure. What do you think they are? Are they dangerous?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They don't fade with pressure
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

There are two possibilites based on your history and neither of them are dangerous. The first is petechiae which is basically leakage of blood into the skin. This can be causd by minor trauma, insect bite or low blood platelets. To rule out this last possibility I would recommend getting your hemogram and platelet count checked. If these are not low then nothing needs to be done and the petechiae will fade over 14-21 days.

The second possiblitiy is that of pigmented purpuric dermatosis (PPD).

This is less likely since the condition is usually present for a few months when a patient presents with it. PPD is a harmless condition caused due to microvascular leakage of blood into the skin leading to hemosiderin deposition. This occurs spontaneously. The basic cause is a mild inflammation of the smallest blood vessels called capillaries (capillaritis).

The condition is essentially harmless and usually keeps recurring and fading. Ultimately there may be some hyperpigmentation in the involved area. If treatment is desired then this is what I recommend normally:

1. Tab Calcium Dobesilate 500 mg twice a day for 6 weeks.

2. Tab Vitamin C 500 mg once a day.

3. Fluticasone propionate cream twice a day for 7-14 days. Then once at night for 2 weeks and the once at night every fourth day for maintenance. Stop this gradually over 2-3 months.

All these are prescription drugs however barring vitamin C.

So to summarize I think you have petechiae, but if the spots keep recurring oover the coming months then PPD is more likely.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.