Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

I have this itchy,pimply rash along my hairline in the back.

I have this itchy,pimply rash along my hairline in the back. I wash my hair approximatly everyother day and it's always better right after I washed it. Reminds me of "psorias", or should I say, the little bit I know about psorias. My hair is also "thinning" big time.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 years ago.

Is there any redness and scaling in the affected area?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can't really see if there is redness , but yes I would say it becomes kinda scaly from my scratching and "picking"
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 years ago.
Okay, any scaling or dandruff like symptoms in the rest of the scalp? Any rash on the face (particularly eyebrows, sides of nose, behind ears)

Do you have any other significant medical problem and if so what prescription drugs are you on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I don"t have any other areas. I do take Thyroid med. Other then that I'm fine! Should watch my sugar intake a bit more, kind of on the "fringes" of diabetic.

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. Your history is consistent with a diagnosis of 'Seborrheic Dermatitis'. This is a condition where the body loses tolerance for a yeast called Malassezia (which is present normally on all our skins) and starts attacking it leading to redness and scaling. Itching is variable but can be severe.

Here is what will help:

1. Nizoral-AD shampoo: apply and leave for 5 minutes on the scalp and back of neck after working up a lather. Do this every alternate day. (e.g Mon-Wed-Fri). Use regularly for 4-6 weeks then start decreasing the frequency of application gradually till you reach once a week and maintain.

2. Tab Claritin 10 mg morning and evening for 10-14 days.

3. Cap Lumitene (Beta Carotene) one morning and evening for 1 month. This is an excellent anti-oxidant and decreases the inflammation associated with this condition.

4. Tab Biotin 5 mg - morning and evening for 3 months.

NOTE: All of the above are available without a prescription.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)