Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

I have an incrediblly itchy patch of skin on my arm. Mostly

Customer Question

I have an incrediblly itchy patch of skin on my arm. Mostly on just one arm, but occasionally it occurs on both. There is no rash. I have tried every otc product on the market. The itching gets so intense sometimes it wakes me up. I wake up at least 3 times every night scratching. Any answers would be most appreciated. Thank you XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

Since when do you have this itching?

Do you have any significant medical history? If so are you on any prescription meds?

Is your skin very dry?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No medical history. I take only alendronate 70mg and lovastatin 20mg and calcium otc, and a multiple vitamin. No my skin is not real dry, not flaky. One other thing I have tried from a friend is triamcinolone acetonide cream. I used this product for 2 weeks when it didn't work I quit using it.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. Your history is typical of a condition known as Neurodermatitis.

Neurodermatitis is a condition where the nerves in any area of the body become hypersensitive and fire under normal conditions to produce a sensation of itching. The primary problem is itching and any skin rash, redness or excoriation is secondary to the scratching. The skin may look absolutely normal as in your case. The sites are mostly very localized as in your case.

This leads to an 'itch scratch cycle'. As in the more one scratches the more the area itches and so on. The first step in treatment is to break this cycle by giving relief from itching and instructing the patient to avoid scratching as much as possible.

Here is what will help:

1. Clobetasol propionate cream + Mupirocin cream: Mix and apply over the affected areas twice a day for 14 days then switch to Fluticasone propionate cream once at night for 2-4 weeks. All of these will require a prescription. Nothing over the counter will help much, the only product with some benefit is 1% Cortizone cream. The triamcinolone cream you used is not strong enough but even it is stronger than cortizone cream.

2. Tab Claritin 10 mg twice a day for 14 days, then once a day for 6-8 weeks. Initially the dose can be increased to 2 tablets taken twice a day if there is insufficient relief in itching.

3. Sarna sensitive lotion can be used 2-3 times a day to give further relief from itching. This can be continued even when the above creams have been stopped.

4. Avoid scratching the affected areas as much as possible. This is most important. Whenever it is not bearable soak a towel in ice cold water and keep it on the affected areas or apply the Sarna sensitive lotion.

Lastly keep the affected area as well moisturized as possible with a moisturizer of your choice. Avoid soaps and use a soap free body wash for bathing.

NOTE: 1% Cortizone cream, Claritin and Sarna lotion can be bought without a prescription.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can you write the prescription for this?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

No unfortunately I cannot as I do not practice in the US and moreover it is against JustAnswer policy.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your help. I cannot afford an office visit to a dermatalogist, or my family doctor I will pay your fee which is reasonable, but a doctor visit is more than 3 times that amount. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
You're most welcome. I'm sorry I could not help out with the prescription. Regards.