dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have a rash in between my fingers that I thought was a fungal

I have a rash in between my fingers that I thought was a fungal infection (athletes foot), but it won't go away with over the counter treatments. Do you knwo what it could be and what I can do to allieviate the symptoms over the weekend?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

Hello

dermdoc19 :

Would you be able to describe the rash? Are there little water blisters or is the rash just red?

Customer:

There don't seem to be blisters, but there are bumps and white/yellow patches of skin there

Customer:

I was successfully treating it with anti-fungal cream (I thought). It went away for a while

Customer:

Now it has come back with a vengeance -- really bad between two fingers

Customer:

Been putting anti-fungal cream on twice a day, but it's not responding as fast and also it is much worse now.

Customer:

Plus, it's only itchy when it's about to come out really badly. Not when it is red and angry.

dermdoc19 :

Which anti-fungal creams have you used?

Customer:

Lamisil (doesn't work at all), Fungi Cure Intensive Spray (hurts when I spray it, seemed to work but doesn't soothe it at all, it can be uncomfortable), am now using Lotrimin Ultra.

dermdoc19 :

Looking up fungi cure

Customer:

Thanks.

Customer:

It's a clear spray bottle. I wanted something that wouldn't be so obvious that I was treating it. I have to shake a lot of hands everyday!

dermdoc19 :

Undecylenic acid is an old remedy, pretty much outdated. Not that it does not sometimes work, its just that its effectiveness is limited compared to Lotrimin and Lamisil and, of course, the prescription items.

Customer:

So, do you think it is a fungal infection and should I see a doctor? (I have an appointment on wednesday, but need to get through the weekend. Very uncomfortable!)

dermdoc19 :

This is more likely hand dermatitis ( eczema). I would recommend the following for the weekend and until you can see your physician. Cold wet dressings twice a day with Dome-Boro soaks. Dome Boro is Burow's solution and can be found in any pharmacy. You put either a tablet or powder ( supposedly the tablet works better) in a 1/2 pint of cool water. Do this for 10-15 minutes. Then apply Maximum Strength Cortaid ointment. Your physician will be able to prescribe something more effective on Wednesday, but this should give you some relief in the meantime. Zyrtec 10 mg. will also help with the itching somewhat. This was recently approved by the FDA for OTC use. Benedryl should ease the itching at night. Take 25 mg. If you are still itching, you can use Prax Lotion or Aveeno Anti-itch cream. Keep refrigerated when not in use.

dermdoc19 :

Let me know if you have questions please.

Customer:

Many, many thanks! for this. I have actually had dermatitis on my wrists before... It was so long ago that I just threw out the cream!

Customer:

Darn!

dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience: 30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology