Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

I have had a red, blotchy rash that comes and goes that has

I have had a red, blotchy rash that comes and goes that has been going on for 2 weeks now. The rash is on my right foot, top part only and on occasions, it has spread to my toes. It has not spread any where else on my body. It goes away after a few hours if I am lying directly under a fan. When I move, the rash worsens. I have tried everything from hydrocortisone, lanolin, cortivad, nothing helps. There is no pus, secretions, or sores, just red swollen bumps that is accompanied sometimes by welts under the bumps. It's a burning, biting sensation that turns to itch. I do have a picture of my feet if this helps.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 years ago.

Yes a picture would be very helpful, please upload it to the question box using the paper clip icon in the question box toolbar.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
dermatology/" alt="Rash on right foot"/>. Picture is included.rash
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Unknown Rash on Top of Right FootRelist: No answer yet.

The doctor responded asking for a picture, I supplied a picture and he still hasn't gotten back to me yet. I still have this rash and I need an answer please.

I have this rash that comes and goes and disappears at night when I sleep and my foot is under a ceiling fan and it is cold. It comes and goes through out the day. It has been ongoing for about 3 weeks now. It has worsen as the weeks pass spreading to my toes at times.

I have tried my amateur diagnosis of heat rash based on pictures and information on the net so I tried the remedies associated with heat rash including lanolin, keeping cool, keeping dry. I have also tried cortisone, corn starch, and none of them are permanent fixes. They provide temporary relief solely. A podiatrist has prescribed cultivate and apexicon e cream. I also completed a 8 day prescription of amoxillin antibiotics.

It hasn't spread anywhere else on my body but my foot is very bothersome. As of late, when I walk, it feels like it is bruised in my foot where the rash would be over the location of the pain.

I have no medicine allergy that I know of. I do have allergies: pets, hay fever, pollen, dust and gluten. I have been on a strict gluten free diet for a bit over a year now.

The rash has never filled with pus, nor has it scaled or scabbed. It just gets very itchy, biting/burning sensation, and at its worse peaks, I have welts because the rash is so plentiful.

Please help me understand what I have and how to fix this long-term.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Hi again,

I'm really sorry about the delayed reply. Did not see your response till now. Thank you for the photograph. You rash is suggestive of either contact allergic dermatitis or discoid eczema. It might be worth seeing a dermatologist to get a patch test done to see if you are allergic to any of the common allergens found in day to day life. If so then avoiding these triggers helps significantly.

Management includes:

1. Daily use a good moisturizer (Aveeno, Cetaphil or Jergens) - at least twice a day. Preferably three-four times a day. This is the most important measure to prevent the rash coming back again and again.

2. Flovent cream (Fluticasone propionate) twice a day till the rash disappear, then once at night for 14-28 days after that. This should be combined with Mupirocin cream in a 1:1 ratio prior to application. Once the rash has subsided I start patients on Tacrolimus 0.03% ointment or Pimecrolimus cream for a few months to prevent a recurrence.

3. Tab Atarax 25 mg two to three times a day depending on the severity of the itching

4. Soap free body wash (Nivea makes a good one) for bathing - avoid soaps as much as possible.

5. General Precautions - only use luke warm water for bathing, keep away from dust, cotton socks only, avoid any perfumed foot creams..

Since these are prescription drugs, I would recommend seeing your family physician or dermatologist and discussing my recommendations.

Till you can, do all the general measures I've mentioned above and use a mixture of 1% Cortizone cream and Bacitracin ointment over the rash. Mix them in a 1:1 ratio.

Hope this information is helpful, please feel free to ask if any clarification is required.
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)