How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Nair Your Own Question
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 9114
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
Dr. Nair is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

White spots on legs and arms

Resolved Question:

I have little white spots on my legs and arms. I'd like to know what this is and if there is anything that can be done for it.

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

Can you take a photograph of these white spots?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.


Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

Great! Then please take a few photos and upload them to the question box using the paper clip icon.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the photograph. How long have you had these white spots? Do they ever have scaling on top or itch?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've had them for several years (may be 4 or 5 years). No they do not scale or itch.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the information. The white spots you have are called Idiopathic Guttate Hypomelanosis (IGH). This is a harmless age related change and usually starts in a person's 50's and is commonest over the limbs. The number of spots stabilize after a few years and the condition is non progressive. No treatment is required.
However if treatment is desired on cosmetic grounds then the only thing that really works is Topical PUVA or PUVA therapy which involves exposure to UVA light after applying a topical Psoralen lotion. 1 % Coal Tar has also worked in some patients. Both these treatments will need to be done under the supervision of a dermatologist.
The fungal infection you were asking about is Pityriasis Versicolor and that does not present like this.
Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask in case you have any queries.

Dr. Nair and 2 other Dermatology Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dermatology Questions