Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I have little white spots on my legs and arms. Id like to

I have little white spots on my legs and arms. I'd like to know what this is and if there is anything that can be done for it.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 years ago.

Can you take a photograph of these white spots?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 years ago.
Great! Then please take a few photos and upload them to the question box using the paper clip icon.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My battery is low on my camera. I'll have to charge it, then I'll send you a picture. Is that okay.

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 years ago.
Sure no problem. I'm awake for half an hour or so. If it will take longer I can take a look tomorrow morning if that is okay by you. (its about 1:30 at night in my part of the world).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

graphic

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the photograph. How long have you had these white spots? Do they ever have scaling on top or itch?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've had them for several years (may be 4 or 5 years). No they do not scale or itch.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. The white spots you have are called Idiopathic Guttate Hypomelanosis (IGH). This is a harmless age related change and usually starts in a person's 50's and is commonest over the limbs. The number of spots stabilize after a few years and the condition is non progressive. No treatment is required.

However if treatment is desired on cosmetic grounds then the only thing that really works is Topical PUVA or PUVA therapy which involves exposure to UVA light after applying a topical Psoralen lotion. 1 % Coal Tar has also worked in some patients. Both these treatments will need to be done under the supervision of a dermatologist.

The fungal infection you were asking about is Pityriasis Versicolor and that does not present like this.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask in case you have any queries.
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)