Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

developed a itchy fluid filled rash on arms, legs and chest

Customer Question

developed a itchy fluid filled rash on arms, legs and chest after holidaying in Spain. Still extremely itchy after a week at home. Have been suffering with this for the last 4 years only (am 40 now)! Use high factor sun creams/oil free sun creams/no sun cream and it makes no difference? Am due to go to Florida for a family holiday in August and I am dreading it as it really ruins my holidays now... HELP!
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

Can you take a photograph of the rash at your convenience?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
have sent 2 images of rash via email as photographs wouldnt attach here
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately JustAnswer policy prevents direct email communication between customer and expert so those won't reach me. You can upload the pictures to the question box by clicking on the paper clip or tree icon in the question box toolbar. If the upload is not happenign the photographs need to be reduced in size to less than 1 MB per photograph.

Another option is to upload pictures to or and send me the link.

If this seems too complicated then just email the photographs to [email protected] with my name (For Dr Nair dermatology expert) in the subject line and they usually forward the mail to me within 24 hours.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Yup worked like a charm! Though there are a number of distinct skin conditions caused due to sunlight ranging from photoallergic dermatitis to chronic actinic dermatitis your symptoms and clinical picture are consistent with Vesicular Polymorphous Light Eruption (PMLE). This is an inflammatory reaction to UV radiation.

PMLE most often comes on when people are exposed to more sunlight than they are used to.

does improve with time and patients can become symptom free after many years but it is not possible to predict this with any level of accuracy.

Here is what will help prevent reactions:

SPF 50 + sunscreen over all the photoexposed areas at least twice a day, preferably thrice. You must continue this long term. If you stop using it the rash will invariable occur.

Cap Lumitene: take 2 capsules in the morning and two at night after meals for 14 days and then 1 tablet each time for 6 months more. Thereafter take it once a day. This is an antioxidant and acts like a sunscreen from within the body

Stay out of the sun as much as possible, especially between 10 am and 4 pm.

When the reaction does occur (like right now since you have the rash):

1% Cortizone cream: apply over all affected areas twice a day till the reaction subsides.

Calamine lotion: apply as often as you like for symptomatic relief.

Tab Claritin 10 mg once a day for 7 days

NOTE: All of the above are available without a prescription.

Lastly if you have noticed that your rash comes on with change of seasons or there is a typical cyling of symptoms then you could be a candidate for UV light hardening therapy. This will need to be discussed with a dermatologist in person. Another option is to take oral hydroxycholoroquine for 4-6 months. This will require a prescription and blood tests.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to get back to me if any clarification is required.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
You're most welcome! Glad I could be of some help :)