dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Purple raised bump on waist

Customer Question

My son has a purple raised bump on his waist. He had something similar to it years ago under his arm, but I can't remember if it was exactly the same. He had to get it cut out. He tried to pop it and some white stuff came out a little then nothing comes out. What can this be? Thank you.

Oh, he says it does not hurt.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 6 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

Hello

dermdoc19 :

Would you be able to send a photograph? That would be very helpful.

Customer:

I could try. Where to send it to? Thanks.

Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 6 years ago.
You would click on the paper clip icon and upload.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 6 years ago.
This may be a follicular cyst...sometimes erroneously called a sebaceous cyst. But a photo would help.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I cannot get it to insert.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 6 years ago.
If you are using Safari of Google Chrome, it will not. If you can't: my e mail address [email protected]
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have sent it through email. It was a little blurry and not as purple as I thought.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It looks like another is coming out next to it. They tend to come out on his stretch marks.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 6 years ago.
I'll check my e mail. Is this a bulge on a stretch mark. To what are the stretch marks attributed to?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm assuming because he is overweight. He is working on that too.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 6 years ago.
What is his skin color, if I may ask?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
White.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 6 years ago.
Is the bump the same color as the stretch marks?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Essentially, yes. The middle of it is a little darker.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 6 years ago.
Sorry to ask so many questions. Was the "white stuff" he squeezed out cheesy? Smelly?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That's not a problem. He said it was a white liquid with a little blood. Not smelly.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 6 years ago.
I'm going to do some research tomorrow at the office. Last question of the night: Is the purple bump a bulge in the stretch mark? ( I know I already asked this.)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes it is. The bump is not so much purple, as it is flesh colored with it dark in the middle. I was assuming this was from him trying to pop it. Thanks for all the help. I had an appointment with a doctor, but he insist he is ok and doesn't want to miss work.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The bump is on top of the stretch mark. Should this be something of major concern? Thanks.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 6 years ago.
Hello
I am having great difficulty trying to figure out what this is without a picture. Again, the only thing I can think of is a "sebaceous" cyst. Remotely, something called a pilomatricoma, a benign growth. If you are not able to post a photograph, let me know, and I will ask the study monitor refund your money. You can then repost your question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I thought I had sent the picture in the email. I will try again. It says the pic is too big. It is basically flesh colored, round, and it is a little dark in the middle. I think that is from him squeezing it and trying to pop it. He does have a dr. appointment next Friday. If it gets worse, I will take him to urgent care. Thanks for your help and I don't want a refund. Thanks again.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 6 years ago.
THank you. I finally did get the photograph and it is fairly decent.
This appears to be a furuncle. It is best treated with an antibiotic such as Omnicef 300 mg. twice a day; and warm tap water or Dome-boro compresses twice a day for 10-15 minutes. To prevent recurrence or additional similar lesions, I would advice Hibiclens 4% wash or Phiso-Derm Wash in the groin, and arm-pits. Also, bleach baths twice a week. To create a bleach bath: Drop 1/2 cup of Chlorox bleach into a 1/2 tub filled with water for the last five minutes of a bath. Submerge ( except the head, obviously!). Rinse well. Perform the latter measures while waiting for a physician appointment. He will need a prescription for Omnicef, but can apply Bacitracin twice a day until then.
Happy to answer further questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much for your time and expertise. Have a wonderful evening. You must be a red sox fan, so is my brother n law. He is from Boston, living in Tampa, and we are from New Orleans. Thanks again!
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 6 years ago.
Your welcome. Thank you for your patience. Bosox fan since the days of Ted Williams, Parnell ( a New Orleans kid, and Ellis Kinder ( my med asst.'s Great Uncle pitched for them!)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That is awesome! He has me pulling for them as well. I also like the Celtics (when they don't play the Hornets)! Thanks again!