Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

i have red pus filled bumps appearing on my chest aea, I usually

Customer Question

i have red pus filled bumps appearing on my chest aea, I usually have the odd one but i seem to have rather a lot, how can i treat them?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

How big are these bumps - are they painful?

Do you suffer from any medical condition like Diabetes?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not painful just ugly and no other medical conditions,
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. Your history is suggestive of 'Recurrent Folliculitis'. The first step into figuring out how to prevent this is to get your blood sugar level done (both fasting and after a meal). Diabetes is a common cause of Recurrent Folliculitis.

If the sugar level is high then controlling it will prevent new boils. Besides this here is what I recommend:

1. Mupirocin ointment twice a day for 5-7 days whenever the bumps come. If there is no improvement within 3 days of this then you will require a 5 days course of an oral antibiotic like Dicloxacillin 500 mg three times a day.

2. Dial Antibacterial liquid soap for bathing. Continue this even when asymptomatic.

3. Mupirocin cream twice a day in the inside skin of the nose for 14 days. This may seem strange since you have no symptoms there but this is the commonest site of carriage of the bacteria that causes this condition (staph). Infection keeps recurring from here through carriage by the fingers to other parts of the body.

NOTE: Dicloxacilllin and mupirocin will require a prescription so I would recommend discussing my recommendations with your GP/family physician. Bacitracin is an OTC alternative to Mupirocin cream.

If despite this you continue to get new lesions then I have found one ayurvedic medicine very helpful in my patients. Its called Septilin and needs to be taken as 2 tablets twice a day for one month with meals and then 1 tablet twice a day for 3 months. Here is a link to buying it. It does not require a prescription:

Here is a link to information about this natural drug:

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I dont think this is Recurrent Folliculitis as it is not around hair folicals? I have been using witch doctor for the last couple of days and it appears to have cleared up?

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

Follicles on the chest are not visible without a magnifying lens and most of them do not make visible hair in women so unless you have a trained eye its not possible to say whether a rash is follicular or not - if you can upload a photograph of the bumps I'd be happy to take a look.