Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

The tips of my fingers constantly split open like they have

The tips of my fingers constantly split open like they have been cut with a razor blade. It happens whether I am at work or not. I have tried every type of hand cream I can think of and have tried barrier creams to no avail. When the condition flares up I will have it for months and months but then I can equally go months without any symptoms. It makes no difference if it is summer or winter.

Can you take a photograph of the affected fingers at your convenience?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Dr Nair,

Sorry but I am not very technically adept, I don't own a digital camera or even have a mobile phone that takes pictures. I could ask a friend to do it but I have no idea how I would send the picture to you. The splits are always dead straight, just like they have been cut with a razor and always on the right or left hand edge of the nail, the cuts are usually 4 - 6 mm long from the nail over the tip of the finger. They are incredibly sore and will, if left untreated, open up so that they bleed. sometimes the skin flakes away over a small patch around the cut. If I cover them immediately they form with New Skin or a plaster they can heal up quite quickly, within two or three days. They form very quickly though; I can have perfect skin, then a deep split open up within a few hours.

I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. Your condition may be explained by two conditions:

1. Hyperkeratotic Eczema

2. Palmar Psoriasis

These two conditions look very similar in appearance and require a skin biopsy to reliably differentiate them. However your history does sound more like Palmar Psoriasis.

Here is a regimen here that should help:

1. Cortizone cream + Mg 217 sal-acid ointment twice a day (morning & evening) over all affected areas. Mix these two creams in equal proportion before applying.

2. Triton Mg 217 intensive strength medicated tar ointment: apply over skin lesions once at night. Wash off in the morning. Can stain clothing so appropriate precautions should be taken.

3. Balnetar Therapeutic Tar Bath: Add to tub of water as directed on the bottle - soak hands in tub for 15-20 minutes. If this is not possible then use soapworks coal tar soap bar and leave lather on for 5 minutes. Product does not smell very good and will stain clothing but is effective.

4. Omega-3 fatty acid capsules - 2 in the morning & 2 at night after meals. Use this only if you have no heart problems.

5. Cap Lumitene 30 mg twice a day.

6. Olive oil or Neutrogena body oil massage to affected areas once a day. This is optional.

NOTE: All of these are available over the counter & online at amazon.com. Treatment will need to be continued for 2-3 months for maximum benefit.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to get back to me regarding any clarification if required.