Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

My skin is burning for no reason. It feels like I have a sunburn

My skin is burning for no reason. It feels like I have a sunburn for no reason. The pain is on my stomach and back. The skin in that area is also very sensitive to touch. This has been going on for about 1 week. It gets a little better when I take ADVIL, but does not go away.

There is no redness or any other sign of irritation. Just a burning sensation very similar to a sunburn.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

Is this on both sides of the body or only one side?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It sends to be more on the right side (front and back) than the left. At first it was like a "burning" line around my waist. Over the last few days it is more centralized to the right side. By the way, there are no visible signs of anything. I don't wear tight clothing around that area or anything like that.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the information - Have you ever had shingles in the past?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, never. I'm usually a very healthy person
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for all the information. You might have something called Herpes Zoster Sine Zoster. This is basically shingles without the skin rash. Shingles (Herpes Zoster) is a disorder that involves the nerves first and then the skin. Typical features are considerable burning/pain and a blistering skin rash. When this skin rash is absent the condition is called Herpes Zoster Sine Zoster. Treatment involves starting Tab Acyclovir 800 mg five times a day or an equivalent drug like Valacyclovir or Famciclovir. This will require a prescription and hence I would recommend discussing my diagnosis with your family doctor/GP. Till then continue Tab Advil 400 mg three times a day after meals and Take Vit B12 1500 microgram tablet once everyday.

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have anu queries.