Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I have a zit like lump on the bridge of my nose. It has been

Customer Question

I have a zit like lump on the bridge of my nose. It has been there for the past 3 years or so and every time I try popping it, liquid comes out and eventually it scabs over. But once the scab heals, the liquid/lump/zit returns. How can I get rid of this?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

Can you take a photograph of this bump at your convenience?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi! I will take a picture of it and send it to you tomorrow. Thanks1

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
Sure no problem, I check in everyday.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Here's a picture of the zit like lump on my nose.graphic
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the photograph. The reason why this red bump has not subsided for many months is because it may not be a pimple at all. The two main possibilities are Keratosis Pilaris and Actinic Keratosis.

Keratosis pilaris is a condition caused by microscopic scales occluding follicular orifices (hair follicle openings). The dots can be skin coloured, whitish or reddish. The condition is absolutely harmless and has a waxing and waning course. Actinic Keratosis is caused due to sun damage.

Here is the treatment for Keratosis Pilaris:

1. Retin-A cream applied once a night over the most affected areas. Benefit usually takes 6-8 weeks of regular use.

2. Moisturizing cream with 10-20% urea. Use a cream such as Urea care cream ( http://www.amazon.com/UREA-CARE-6-OZ-TUBE/dp/B000VTC3Q4/ref=pd_sim_bt_1 ) twice a day over the affected areas. You can combine it with Amlactin cream, applying it 10 min after Amlactin.

3. Vitamin A 25,000 IU once a day after breakfast for 4 weeks.

4. Avoid soaps on the face. Switch to a soap free face wash (Nivea makes one)

NOTE: Retin-A cream will require a prescription. The rest can be bought over the counter.

Give this a try - if there is no improvement in 4 weeks then Actinic Keratosis is the likely diagnosis and this will need to be lasered off or treated with 5-FU or imiquimod cream

Hope this information is useful, please feel free to ask if you have any queries.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Would keratosis pilaris or actinic keratosis have liquid in it?

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

No, but the liquid could just be a serous fluid secreted due to your trying to pop it.