Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)

Have an allergic reaction to facial cream I used,my face is

Have an allergic reaction to facial cream I used,my face is crimson as though it had been burned and burning like a burn,I have tried Germolene,Johnston Baby Lotion,but neither seem to have helped,all I want to do is keep putting cold water compresses to it.
Can you suggest anything I could try as it has been like this for three days now.
Thank you ,
Annette Pickett.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

Is there any blistering or weeping rash or is it just dry and red?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No blistering or weeping ,just dry,red ,and burning

Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. This reaction should gradually start subsiding since you have stopped using the facial cream responsible. Here is what will help the process:

Use Cetaphil facial moisturizing cream 3-4 times a day to keep the skin as well moisturized as possible. In the morning and night use 1% Cortizone cream 5 minutes after the moisturizing cream and apply over all the affected areas.

Take Tab Claritin 10 mg once day. This can be taken tiwce a day if the irritation persists.

Use crushed ice wrapped in a clean towel for soothing affected areas whenever symptoms are severe and stay out of direct sunlight.

You should be much better within the week.

NOTE: All of the above are available without a prescription.