Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I feel I have an oily rancid smell coming thru the pores of

I feel I have an oily rancid smell coming thru the pores of my skin. I can smell it most of the time. I have been too embarrased to ask if anyone else can smell it. There is no visible substance (oil, residue) on my skin but just a oily rancid smell. The odor just seems to be around me.
Can you help?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 years ago.

How long have you had this smell?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
About 3 weeks now.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 3 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. What you have is called Bromhidrosis. This can be a very frustrating problem to treat both for the patient and physician.

The cause of the odour is often an overgrowth of surface bacteria in the arm pits and other body areas coupled with excessive secretion from apocrine glands (these are the glands responsible for every persons characteristic body odour). These bacteria break down the fatty component of apocrine secretions leading to the formation of foul smelling molecules and these are responsible for the bad body odour.

Here is what I would recommend:

Use an anti perspirant like Driclor lotion/spray twice a day in the arm pits and over the palms and soles. Besides this any deodorant of your choice can be used for perfume purposes.

Zeasorb-AF powder twice a day applied 10-15 minutes after the Driclor

An antibacterial soap containing triclosan (e.g. soapex, dial antibacterial soap, medsop) for bathing daily

If you're overweight then getting on an exercise regimen to reduce the weight will also help by causing less folds/bunching up of skin in the axillary region (arm-pits) thereby decreasing the sweating/oily secretions in the area.

Shaving of the hair in the arm-pits. Do this carefully only in the direction of hair growth to prevent ingrown hair. Permanent hair removal by laser/electrolysis is also an option.

If this does not give desired results then a 6 week course of oral tetracycline can be considered but this will require a prescription.

Please let me know if you require any clarification regarding my answer. Regards.
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)