dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology

I have a rash on my chest/neck. It started out as a little

I have a rash on my chest/neck. It started out as a little sore spot in my jugular notch. It has slowly gotten worse, and is now a rectangular shaped rash reaching between both of my brachial plexus muscles in my neck, is kind of rectangular in shape and about an inch thick. Sometimes it burns and sometimes it itches, and it just progressively get's worse. It started out as a red dot, and slowly spread. At about the second day, it looked scaly and dry. Because of some scratching, it is now less scaly, and is more shiny. It doesn't seem to help no matter what I put on it, whether is lotion or whatever. I got a facial the other day, and it made the rash feel better for a while (she used Tea tree oil on it during my facial). It burned, and then itched, but then felt a lot better for a couple of hours, before getting red and itchy again. I had a staff infection in my nose about a month ago, but my doctor cleared it up with a cream. Could it be similar to that? I was going to take a picture, but I don't know if there's any way to send a picture online. I've had the rash for about a week now, and it only gets worse. Any ideas? It's very pinkish red, and continues to get slowly bigger with time. And as I said, it began as a itchy spot, then grew a little bit slowly and became a couple inches wide and a quarter inch tall. At about day 2-3, it got a bit bigger, and got scaly and itchy. Over the past few days, every day it's a bit bigger. It hasn't gotten scaly again, instead it's just red and shiny. I've been using Aczone and Differin for about 3 weeks as prescribed by my dermatologist to help with my acne. For about two weeks my skin was scaly and dry, but never got red and shiny like my neck. Is there a chance I got some of the cream on my neck and it could be causing this much irritation for this long?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

Hello

dermdoc19 :

Would it be possible to send a photograph? To do so you would upload by clicking on the paper clip icon. Thank you.

dermdoc19 :

If you have trouble with the picture you can use my e mail address atXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Customer:

It's back to scaly again and not as shiny, but it's really itchy and irritated. These pictures don't show how red it is, but it hopefully gives you an idea of nature of the rash.

Full Size Image
Full Size Image

Customer:

Well I guess it does show how red it is, looks better on the computer than the camera. And it has also gotten bigger yet again.

dermdoc19 :

Thank you for the photographs. This looks to be an allergic contact dermatitis. To what it would be difficult to say. There are a number of possible contactants. In my opinion it would be a good idea to use a mid-potent steroid such as Topicort Ointment applied twice a day. Since I am not positive from the photographs, I would place you on an oral antibiotic such as Omnicef 300 mg twice a day. I am not sure whether this might have become "super-infected". which means a rash that begins as a dermatitis, but becomes infected from scratching. Instead of seeing the aesthetician, I would feel more comfortable about it, if you consulted your dermatologist.

dermdoc19 :

Happy to answer further questions.

dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience: 30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology