dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I believe that I have ringworm, it doesnt itch, or hurt or

Customer Question

I believe that I have ringworm, it doesn't itch, or hurt or anything. But I have red spots all over my stomach and chest area, and down into my crotch region. When I have tried to use lotrimin or other medications like it, it goes away for a few months and slowly comes back. I think its even growing up into my neck area and I cant keep putting these medications over my entire body, is there a pill or something I can use to cure it for good?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

Hello

Customer:

Hey, thank you for your time.

dermdoc19 :

Does the Lotrilmin truly make these go away. If so, this very well may be ringworm. It should respond to Lamisil or Sporonox. These are both oral antifungal pills.

Customer:

Yes when I use the lotrimin it goes away after a few days, but after a few months it just comes right back.

Customer:

I have asked walgreens if they have any pills but thye always tell me i need a prescription, so i didnt want to just buy pills and then end up taking the wrong thing.

Customer:

and as it spreads it gets harder to keep putting cream over my entire body, so i was hoping there was a pill that would work.

dermdoc19 :

There are some things that look like ringworm but are not such as granuloma annulare, or erythema annulare centrifugum.

Customer:

are they treatable by a pill?

dermdoc19 :

No, actually those are harder to treat. If it is a fungus it is pretty easy to treat. Do the spots have scale?

Customer:

scale?

Customer:

its like...it almost has grown just into one big red patch, it doesn't itch at all and when i look at pictures of ringworm and those other 2 you said, those look so severe, mine just looks like red spots, and some days its not very noticable some days its very red

Customer:

and like i said, lotrimin did take it away, but each time it comes back it grows further it seems

dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience: 30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm not sure what happened...you asked me a question and then never responded...and it said initializing accept? and I didnt know what to do so I pushed accept now its saying i paid for this, but I didnt even get an answer from you. ive been sitting here waiting for 20 minutes for a response.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.
Hello?
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.
Would you be able to forward a photograph?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes I can send a photo, where do i send it to
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.
Send it by clicking on the paper clip icon and upload.
Two other things I would consider, that do not look much like a fungus to a dermatologists' eye, but might to a lay person would be guttate psoriasis and pityriasis rosea. However, none of these entities would respond to an anti-fungal.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry I cant find a paper clip icon to upload the picture...its on this page?
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.
If you have trouble uploading the photograph to this site. You can try my redsoxlad@yahoo.com
There may be a fir tree icon instead.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i sent it to your yahoo.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.
Good. Pretty easy diagnosis.
This is Tinea Versicolor. It does explain your response to Lotrimin too as this is caused by a yeast like organism called Malassezia Furfur.
What I said above would still hold. You might need an oral medication such as Sporonox ( this works better than Terbenafine (Lamisil)
However, you can try topical treatments: Apply Selsun to the entire skin surface from scalp to the thighs and leave on for ten minutes. Rinse. Repeat this every day for seven consecutive days.
You can then shower with ZNP soap but lather and leave on for five minutes.
If you really want to knock it out you can spray with Lamisil spray at bedtime and leave it on all night. Do this for two weeks.
One caveat: tinea versicolor can come back.
To delay its reappearance take garlic pills and use either Head and Shoulders shampoo or Selsun.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Awesome, thank you so much, would it be not good to try the pills and the soap and sprays? should I just stick to one? I'm glad to know what to do now though, thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.
If I would try the spray, if I was going to use one. I generally try to avoid the pills, since I worry about liver toxicity with them. Rare, yes, but since there are other means of treating Tinea versicolor, I would rather do that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry to keep asking you questions, but is there a specific spray you would recommend, I'm looking online but there is just so many.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.
Lamisil spray would be the only one I would recommend.