Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

i have these tiny dark spots on my hands and i have no idea

i have these tiny dark spots on my hands and i have no idea where they come from,im only 25 years old.they appeared on my hands about 2 years ago.not the palm but the back side of the hands.so i was wondering do you know what this could be?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.

Can you take a photograph of these spots at your convenience?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have the picture but how do i send it from here?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
Great! You can upload the pictures to the question box by clicking on the tree/clip icon in the question box toolbar. This toolbar does not display in google chrome and safari so an alternate browser may be required.

Another option is to upload pictures to www.photobucket.com or www.picasa.com and send me the link.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k546/crystal8583/Photo_00009.jpg?t=1298302161
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
The photograph is not very clear - are these dark spots flat or raised? Or both?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
they are flat spots
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 5 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. What you have are called Seborrheic Keratosis. They are a normal age related skin change cause by sun damage (UV Rays).

These skin lesions are not infective and regular sunscreen use (SPF 30+) and sun protection will slow prevent new ones from forming. Their size can vary from that of a small rice grain to larger that a quarter. Their color may range from exactly like the skin to black.

When patients are concerned because of the cosmetic disfigurement they cause I offer to remove them with CO2 laser or radiofrequency ablation. You could discuss these options with a dermatologist in person if so desired.

Besides the sunscreen I would recommend starting Capsule Beta Carotene taken twice day after meals for 3 months, then once a day indefinitely. This is an antioxidant and has numerous positive health benefits besides its role in the skin.

Hope this information is useful!