Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I am a 42 year old male and continuously get acne/ spots on

I am a 42 year old male and continuously get acne/ spots on the back of my neck. Yes I keep my hair short but even when I didnt they were still around.
Do you know any solutions?
thanks,
Mark
Sydney
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 6 years ago.

Do you get acne anywhere else? How long have you been having this problem at the back of the neck? Do the bumps come and go or are they persistent?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The only other place I get any sort of acne is on my scalp. The problem has been occurring for years, I kep trying new things and it will disappear for a week or two then comes back with vengeance. They come and go.
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 6 years ago.
I hope you find our interaction helpful. If you are satisfied with my response(s) please remember to press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you for the information. Your symptoms seem consistent with a diagnosis of 'Acne Keloidalis Nuchae'.

Doxycycline is the first line of treatment along with Retin-A cream. For persistent lesions a single shot of Injection Tricort in the bump usually takes care of it. I would suggest starting Doxycycline again in a dose of 100 mg twice a day for the first 2 weeks, then once a day for 4-6 weeks along with Retin-A cream once at night, plus Betadine shampoo for hair wash alternate day. All of these barring the shampoo will require a prescription though.

If you cannot see a dermatologist in the near future this will help:

1. Use a salicylic acid face wash (e.g. Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Salicylic Acid Acne Treatment) to wash the neck, gently massaging it in for 1-2 minutes before washing off.

2. Clearasil Stayclear Tinted Acne Cream applied twice a day over the pimples. Be careful not to apply too much. There may be slight redness and flaking of skin, but this is normal. Do not apply on non pimply skin.

3. Neutrogena On-The-Spot Acne Treatment Vanishing Cream: This can be applied safely over the entire involved area once at night after the clearasil has cleared the old pimples. Apply a thin film, do not rub. This will prevent new pimples from coming and can be used daily for 2-3 months.

All of the above products are OTC and will not need a prescription.

Hope this information is useful!